FJ60 Fuel gauge shows empty at 15 gallons (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Likely the sending unit, they get pretty gummed up and corroded over time making them do some odd things, you can pull it out and inspect/test it pretty easily, it's in the rear cargo area. there is an access cover, you can remove the screws, pull it out, visually inspect it and test it.

Good luck w/ those screws. I pb'd the death of mine but there was no moving them unless I drilled them out. I did fuss w/ them o no aval and apparently the threat made everything decide to start working.

Fill it up and set the trip odometer. Run it to almost 180 miles and then keep a gas can with you till it runs out. NOTE the trip odometer. That's your new fuel gauge! Dump the gas can in and go fill it up somewhere.......and reset your trip odo. Problem solved.

On my '62 I look for gas when I hit 200 miles. 32" tires.

Position screwdriver onto screw head and give it a whack with a hammer. Light whack that is. Breaks the rust and allows screws to turn

get a Vessel JIS screwdriver!!!!!!!!!!!! the shaft can also be turned with a 10mm for added leverage

but if its to late for that, I have cut a deep(as I can) slot in the heads with a demal and then used a big fat flat blade to remove.

This is such a simple job. I bought a new sending unit about 3 years ago and "waited" for the right time to fix it. Ran out of gas a couple of times (my fault, tried to push the limit). When I went to put it in, the hardest part was getting the back cleaned out and carpet up to access the panel. Worth the time! I still kick myself for not doing this sooner.

If you get it out, it will probably look like this if it's bad.

20170501_214839.jpg

I replaced it, can't remember how much it was, but I'm pretty sure I got it from @beno

OP, ever get this fixed? ...I've got the same issue, and it's NOT from having a V8 and a skinny pedal, I swear! 16g... and BAM, she's done. Gonna get a sender unit, but just want to confirm your experiences before it 'invest' haha.

OP, ever get this fixed? ...I've got the same issue, and it's NOT from having a V8 and a skinny pedal, I swear! 16g... and BAM, she's done. Gonna get a sender unit, but just want to confirm your experiences before it 'invest' haha.
This is a very historic issue w/ 60’s. Could be the sender ($$$), could be the fuel gauge ($$) or the ground or it could be wiring ($). Try the less expensive steps first. I’ve done a sender and it hasn’t helped. I press the trip at each fill up and only go about 200 miles per tank and have never run out.

I’ve done a sender and it hasn’t helped. I press the trip at each fill up and only go about 200 miles per tank and have never run out.

Thanks for that 411, man.

I'd like to know if that access hatch in the cargo area lets you pull the sender, of if you had to drop the tank...?

I too have been using the Punch-Trip-ODO-and-Watch method... but I'd like to see a realistic reflection of the quantity, you know?

Further, given the state of 'dumpy' that my current cab wiring harness is in, I'd not be surprised if one of the chassis grounds for the sender or something was what caused this condition. BUT, I'd dealt with corrosion before... It could also be an issue with that sender losing juice.

This is a very historic issue w/ 60’s. Could be the sender ($$$), could be the fuel gauge ($$) or the ground or it could be wiring ($).

FWIW, here's the 2019 (Q1) Prices I can find for the following:
Sender (OEM new): 80$
Gauge (used): 75$
Wiring? ...'yer elbow grease and knowledge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom