FJ60 front frame width and height.

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by Mace, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Mace

Mace rock scientist.. Staff Member s-Moderator

i need to basically create a front bumper that I can use to flat tow my 60 from Wis to Vegas.

What is the frame width (side to side) and how thick (tall) is the frame at that point. I know the frame is mostly 2x4 but I seem to recall that the bumper mount is more like 2x6"

Other thing. Can I inset the frame into the bumper?? or use 2x3 tubing (or something like it) to set into the frame??? Kind of a slide in deal.

Not having a front bumper is kind of a pain..

2. Tinker

Tinker

You need to measure your own bumper - the front frame on my '83 is 31-1/2" outside-to-outside, while my '84 is 31-3/4. It's a 2x4 C-channel, with the bumper brackets riveted on. You can cut the rivets & mount a custom bumper using 1/2" bolts. Wouldn't be too hard to design a bumper with shackle mounts that would also serve to attach a tow bar. I'd line them up with 4x4x1/4" angle iron bolted outside the frame so the pull is straight.

Hope you're towing it with something that weighs at least 6,000#. If not, go slow.

3. Mace

Mace rock scientist.. Staff Member s-Moderator

If I was around the cruiser I would measure it. It is in Wis and I am in Las Vegas.

so there are bumper brackets riveted on. That is not too bad. I can drill out the rivets to attatch a custom bumper.

Towing is no big deal I have a rather large CC F350 Super Duty diesel.

Thanks for the frame widths. Rough is all I needed

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.