1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FJ60 front frame width and height.

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by Mace, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Mace

Mace rock scientist.. Staff Member s-Moderator

i need to basically create a front bumper that I can use to flat tow my 60 from Wis to Vegas.

What is the frame width (side to side) and how thick (tall) is the frame at that point. I know the frame is mostly 2x4 but I seem to recall that the bumper mount is more like 2x6"

Other thing. Can I inset the frame into the bumper?? or use 2x3 tubing (or something like it) to set into the frame??? Kind of a slide in deal.

Not having a front bumper is kind of a pain..

2. Tinker

Tinker

You need to measure your own bumper - the front frame on my '83 is 31-1/2" outside-to-outside, while my '84 is 31-3/4. It's a 2x4 C-channel, with the bumper brackets riveted on. You can cut the rivets & mount a custom bumper using 1/2" bolts. Wouldn't be too hard to design a bumper with shackle mounts that would also serve to attach a tow bar. I'd line them up with 4x4x1/4" angle iron bolted outside the frame so the pull is straight.

Hope you're towing it with something that weighs at least 6,000#. If not, go slow.

3. Mace

Mace rock scientist.. Staff Member s-Moderator

If I was around the cruiser I would measure it. It is in Wis and I am in Las Vegas.

so there are bumper brackets riveted on. That is not too bad. I can drill out the rivets to attatch a custom bumper.

Towing is no big deal I have a rather large CC F350 Super Duty diesel.

Thanks for the frame widths. Rough is all I needed