FJ60 Front brake pad replacement....yes I searched.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,
I have owned my 60 for almost twenty years, and I never actually did the front brakes myself. I don't drive it very often so the brakes seem to last a long time. A few years ago I had a shop replace the front pads and rotors for me with OEM Toyota parts. At this point I would like to simply replace the pads in order to preserve the rotors as the pads are getting thin. I have done pad and rotor replacements on more modern cars, but the 60 is somewhat different.
Does anyone have any pictures of the front caliper/rotor set up? Are there pad clips/hardware that should be replaced? How do the pads go in? Am I unbolting the caliper to replace the pads. Do the 60 calipers have slide pins/bolts like a modern set up?
Also what pads should I be looking at?

Thank you,
Zack

You sir, need to download a copy of the factory service manual. Depending on where you live, the corrosion etc, you would replace certain pieces. Show us a pic of your setup so we can see condition.

Again, download the Factory Service Manual.

Replacing pads is pretty simple, remove the anti-rattle (M shape) clip assembly, slide out the pins-might need to lightly hammer with a drift, pry one side over to compress the caliper pistons, remove a pad, install new, repeat for other pad.
Last time I did this, one side pistons had seized, so I had to remove the caliper.
Calipers are sold loaded with new pads as an option, if you check with some vendors, ( @cruiseroutfit )? I'm sure they can set you up.

Cruiser Brothers, They have a 60 series upgrade kit utilizing 80 series & 4Runner apparatus & HD pads from down under Mate. Their machined rotors are so trick I am actually excited to wear my stockers out. I am way underbred with the 4:88s & 35's. Not sure if the locker is a factor in the risky feel my stock setup has or not- I would assume it does, has been awhile so I can't remember the rig unlocked. Those guys are great & willing to help those of us with DKS. lol

Just did front brakes this past weekend, posted a couple pics in the "what did you do wit your 60" thread. If you follow the FSM you won't go wrong. If you get stuck I took a bunch of pictures so would be happy to help.

You sir, need to download a copy of the factory service manual. Depending on where you live, the corrosion etc, you would replace certain pieces. Show us a pic of your setup so we can see condition.

Again, download the Factory Service Manual.

Yes, I know. I have it printed somewhere, I need to dig it out....

I bought a set of front pads off rockauto for a very reasonable amount of money and they came with all new hardware.

75 series is the same as 60 series . I just lever the pistons back gently with a pry bar but clamps are probably better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom