FJ60/FJ62 Heavy Duty Battery Cable Sets (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Fourrunner

SILVER Star
Threads
The kit costs $155.00 shipped (within US). International shipping is available.

The kit includes 5 cables and battery terminal connectors. This kit fits FJ60's and FJ62's. See below for additional kits (FJ40, FJ80 and FZJ80)

Kit includes:
Battery positive to starter cable (with protective boot - not shown in the pictures below)
Battery negative to fender and motor mount cables
Ground strap from head to firewall
Ground strap from starter to frame
1 Mil spec positive battery connector (not pictured)
1 Mil spec negative battery connector (not pictured)
Optional accessory - 1) Battery terminal covers (add $10.00)
2) Abrasion resistant sleeve (add $10.00)

Without terminal covers and abrasion sleeve - $155
DSC04016.jpg

With terminal covers and abrasion sleeve - $175
Cables with sleeves and covers.JPG

Instructions for install: Battery Cable Kit.pdf

All cables are constructed from either 1/0 or 4 AWG tinned wire (marine wire). Wire is very flexible and jacket is resistant to moisture, oil, chemicals, and excellent abrasion resistance. Joints are sealed using mil spec heavy duty adhesive lined heat shrink to prevent corrosion.

Email me at tetoncruisers@gmail.com for any questions or to place an order. Custom kits for dual battery setups also available upon request.

I also offer cable kit for various other models. See the links below for those cable kits.

See this thread for FJ40 cables:

See this thread for FJ80 cables:

See this thread for FZJ80 cables:

See this thread for UZJ100 cables:

Last edited:
They include a fusible link, which you can modify yours to work. All you need to do is crimp a 3/8" lug on the end of your 10~12 gauge wire. That is the only different. I use similar components with mine as far as I can tell.

I just sold a set to Cruiserdrew, so he should be chiming in with his thoughts on them soon. Might want to message him and ask him what he thinks of them.

Last edited:
These came in the mail today. I just got home from work and they were here.

These cables are much nicer in person than in the ad. They are very well made out of excellent materials. Actually the cables are actually made of heavier material than I expected. They feel flexible and I doubt there will be a problem with installation. They come with new military battery terminals, and detailed instructions.

I'll get them installed this weekend (Maybe, have family in town and staying with us) and post up pictures and additional thoughts and pictures. I'm impressed so far. Nice product.

These came in the mail today. I just got home from work and they were here.

These cables are much nicer in person than in the ad. They are very well made out of excellent materials. Actually the cables are actually made of heavier material than I expected. They feel flexible and I doubt there will be a problem with installation. They come with new military battery terminals, and detailed instructions.

I'll get them installed this weekend (Maybe, have family in town and staying with us) and post up pictures and additional thoughts and pictures. I'm impressed so far. Nice product.

Thanks for the compliments, Andrew!!! More sets available.

Install and review--FJ62

So I finally got around to installing the cable set as described here. I did not take pictures since the cables are black and in a dark engine compartment, there isn't much to see.

There were some initial questions about whether they would fit an FJ62, and I can tell you that they do, with 2 small modifications.

The kit comes with detailed instructions which are excellent and helpful in identifying which wire is which, since the ground cables look alike.

I found it easier to take out the battery and box to run the cables, but you don't need to.

The long positive cable from the battery to the starter is the hardest to install. I used the string method described in the instructions to snake the cable back through the lower retaining straps. Then it just attaches to the lug on the starter.

The ground from the base of the starter to the frame is next-simple install. I used some sand paper to clean the frame down to bright metal for a better ground.

The most difficult install is the ground from the body lug at the battery to the top of the motor mount. On an FJ62 this is basically not possible due to the placement of the air conditioning compressor. So I ran the same wire to the cast boss on the side of the block where the fuel pump would be on an FJ60. There are 2 8mm bolts there that hold on a bracket that holds the cooling tubes from the transmission. I put the cable under one of those bolts and snugged it down.

So if you do it that way, the cable ends up being just barely long enough. I would recommend adding 4 inches to that cable for use in FJ62s. It would work fine as is if there was better access to the nut on top of the motor mount. I left the original ground to that point intact and simply included it mounted in it's original position and simply cut off the portion of that original cable that went to the battery.

The body ground on top of the engine is easy to install-I left the original in place and simply mounted the new cable to the forward bolt of the engine hook and back to the body at the bolt that holds down the 4wd solenoid. It looks clean and well placed.

Then I installed the battery box and the battery. The military terminals are helpful bolting things back together. On the FJ62, the fusible link has 5 links and all terminate in a round terminal that is too small to be bolted to the military terminal. I just used a round rat tail file to enlarge that terminal hole until it fit the 3/8 bolt of the terminal.

Overall install time was 90 minutes which included pulling the battery box and filing the hole bigger in the fusible link.

Overall I was very impressed with these cables. They fit well, the terminal holes were the right size and there were essentially no problems with the install.

My only criticism and it's minor, is that the ground from the battery to the motor could have been a bit longer for FJ62s. In FJ60s it's easier to move the compressor out of the way, but in FJ62s its more satisfactory to just find a different location to mount the cable. There is a good place to do that, but the cable needs to be slightly longer to reach it easily.

In summary:

It's a well made excellent product. The fit and finish are state of the art (and I really like that marine heat shrink with the glue). The instructions are helpful and complete. The install time is very reasonable.

If I could make 1 recommendation about the kit, it would be to just make that 1 wire 4 inches longer and it would work perfectly in both trucks.

Just got mine in the mail !

WOW => definitely impressed - they make my old cables look like shoe laces !
These things are BEEFY !

Can't wait to install them - just need to snow to melt a little faster

Joe in Nashville

Did the install last weekend on my 60, very impressed with the product.

The cables are "keyed" with different sized ends (one end small hole, other end larger hole). Makes it pretty much foolproof.

The motor mount bolt was accessible from above if you loosen the AC comp.
Lucky for me, my AC was already loose - must have forgot to snug it up when I removed the belt a while back (good timing !).

I think starting is easier, but it's hard to tell.

Seller is open to building custom cables for my other cars.

Just got my box of cables this afternoon and am very impressed by the fit and finish. Top notch materials and workmanship, can't wait to get them fitted!:beer:

Just got my box of cables this afternoon and am very impressed by the fit and finish. Top notch materials and workmanship, can't wait to get them fitted!:beer:

Thanks Rusty Pig...let me know how the install goes.

Just a quick question. (Well, actually a couple of questions.) I just wanted to confirm that your cable kit will work for my 87’ FJ60. Next, I have a duel battery setup on my 60. Do you have a cable set for duel battery applications, or is that something that you would have to custom make? If so, what information would you need in order to make such a cable set? :hmm:

I do have a single battery setup for the FJ60. As far as duel goes, if you told me the length of cable you would need for each (positive and negative), then I could get you a quote. Not a problem on custom stuff. If you already have wires for the duel setup, measure those from lug eye to lug eye and I can do the rest.

I purchased the kit from Fourrunner and it worked well. Excellent quality. I really felt like I was pampering the vehicle.
I upgraded the cables at the same time I replaced the battery and rebuilt the starter. The starting sequence definitely sounds much more energetic now, with more "oomph."
I appreciated the documentation. As a novice mechanic I was able to follow along easily. My only complaint is that, while you added some length to one of the cables to accommodate the 62 as requested by Cruiserdrew, you didn't update the documentation. I had to come back to the forum to figure out what what wrong. Perhaps you could add an asterisk for 62 users.
Mega Kudos overall!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom