FJ60 five spd conversion?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am planning on converting my 83 Landcruiser FJ60 ,which currently has a four speed manual transmission, into a five speed. (manual transmission) I am wondering what would be the best five speed transmission for my rig?? I plan on purchasing the transmission from Marlin Crawler if available. Also wondering if new transmission will work with original transmission brace and need other extra parts as well?? example- fly wheel, clutch parts, new shifter parts

I appreciate any help and thanks for the time!!

Dan

Oh, my engine is the original inline six!!

Gotta use the search feature, my friend...

This has been discussed here.

A lot of data to encapsulate this mod.

There is exactly one transmission for the 5spd swap - H55F

your 83 has the wrong transfer case (no spacer)

You need (IIRC) build date 5/85 or later transfer case with
the rear (output shaft?) spacer.

There are some internal mods needed for the TC as well...
An oiler needs to be installed.

There may also be driveline length issues but I'm not sure
with the use of the late t-case.

For brand new - Call cruiserdan or Beno (usernames on mud)
For reconditioned - orangefj45

and get ready to warm up the wallet or credit card.

H55f's are very hard to come by used and expect to pay 2500-3000k new. At that kind of price you may as well start looking at a vortec conversion with a 4l60.

yeah. 3000K is a lot to pay for a transmission.

Besides the transfer case, you will also need to deal with your cross member and driveshafts. The 5-speed transmission is longer than the '83 4-speed, so the cross member is located farther back, and the front drive-shaft is longer and the rear drive shaft is shorter.

your 83 has the wrong transfer case (no spacer)

You need (IIRC) build date 5/85 or later transfer case with
the rear (output shaft?) spacer.

The spacer is on the transmission (i.e. later H42 or H55F) not the transfer case.

Actually, $2089.00 for the transmission.

Dang man. I guess I needed to just look a little harder. Cruiserparts wants $2600, Cool Cruisers wants $2700 ($3000 with shifter and new gaskets)

even discounttoyotaparts.com gives ya $2368

but CDan and beno have the best price numbers

dougbert

Tire Size?

You did not say what tire size you have or aspire to have in the future. This will also be part of the entire cost package. In the H55 the first gear is really low and the 5th gear is about a 15% overdrive. If you are running stock tires (Who does THAT?) you will find that you need to anticipate what larger tires interact with the 5 speed.

My wife's rig has an H55, 3.70 diffs and 10.5X 31 X15's. Her speedometer says she is going 60 when she is really going about 70mph. The overdrive (5th gear) is good on the flat, but there is not oomph on any incline. I doubt that the overdrive of an H55 would be used much with a larger tire (34+inches) and 3.70 gearing

I have a H55 in my rig also but I switched to 4.11 diffs. I started out with a set of 235 X 85X 16 tires. They made the speedometer over estimate the speed by about 10 mph on the highway. Those tires were actually less than 32 inches in diameter. More recently, I have put 255/85/16's on. They are a true 33 inches in diameter and I like them better. Much closer to stock ratios with larger tires.

In my 62, h55 with 4.56 gears and 33's the speedo was pretty much bang on when compared with my GPS

It is not a cheap upgrade. But if you are happy with the 2F engine and plan to keep your cruiser for a while, it is an awesome upgrade. Should have come with that transmission in the first place.

Georg-orangefj45 just put a 5 speed in my blue 84fj60 shown in my picture. I have yet to go get it, that will be next week. He is driving it and breaking it in for me though! Which is good as my trip bringing it home will be about 1000 miles. Mine has 4.88 F/R lockers with tires at 35" (actually 34.25). This diff/tire is the setup the previous owner had. Georg reports that it runs like a dream and goes 62 mph at 2500 RPM which is just about perfect for my highway driving style. This website (http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html) is great for gear calcs and the calculator matched exactly what Georg reports. 1st gear is very low and will be rarely used on highway dead starts. When these tires wear out I will probably go a bit more narrow and 32 or 33" as it is just a tad too tall for an old fart like myself. At that point I may/will re gear at 4.11 or 4.56. Of course, in the next budget cycle! Better start saving now!
BTW Orangefj45 knows the score and is a great guy to work with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom