FJ60 EROD GM 6.2L V8, H55, CA Smog? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

Is it possible to upgrade a 1985 FJ60 with a GM E-Rod LS3 6.2L aluminum block V8 and an H55, and pass California smog? What are the do’s and don’ts? I think ICON has had some luck with this. I know the smog tests are ref specific, but what are some of the common things they could not pass me for with this conversion?

Thanks a lot!

Yes. Engine changes in CA have very simple guidelines and if you follow them you will be fine. The new engine has to be of equal year or new, from the same class of vehicle (light duty), and needs to have all of it's smog equipment installed and functioning. You check the first two boxes already so it really comes down to carrying over the emissions equipment. Fortunately that is massively less equipment than the 2F came with. The BAR tech will simply smog the truck as the year of the new engine and if it passes it will get a sticker. If it fails it is either because something is missing like the catalytic converter or a component like an O2 sensor has failed or is unplugged. Usually the BAR tech will give you some pointers to address and then you just schedule another appointment. It was $9 when I did it. It might be a little more now but still waaaaaaay less than a typical trip to the smog shop.

Frank

I have read some things about specific placement of exhaust And emissions components. And something about the fuel cap/etc. Could be hearsay I have no clue

Just mirror the donor. The exhaust has to route through the 60 and the before cat sensors need to be before the cat, etc... but exhaust dimensions are not part of the inspection. The fuel cap is part of the evap system which both vehicles have. If you fail for a fuel cap then just buy a new one and retest.

As long as the person doing the work is able to review the electrical and emissions schematics to make sure everything is there, hooked up, and functioning, it will pass just like it would in the original vehicle.

Frank

Thanks a lot you guys I appreciate your help! Will I run into any trouble mating this engine with an H55 regarding my smog testing in CA? Thanks!

The H55 won't be an issue. They actually relaxed the engine and trans change requirements from back when I did my 3FE swap in my 85 60. You are basically making the emissions sides of things massively more simple with the newer engine so shouldn't have any issues unless you leave something out.

Frank

The H55 won't be an issue. They actually relaxed the engine and trans change requirements from back when I did my 3FE swap in my 85 60. You are basically making the emissions sides of things massively more simple with the newer engine so shouldn't have any issues unless you leave something out.

Frank

Okay great, thank you!

I both agree and disagree with some of what has been said above. I have been through this process a few times and it is not an easy one.
#1 H55 will be an issue with the engine you chose. OBDII swaps are much more strict than OBDI / Pre OBD swaps, 3E for example.
#2 Erod has some advantages because it is already certified.
#3 placement of cats is closely scrutinized and must not vary much if at all from OEM specs.
#4 TALK to the REF first. Talk to others who have been through this process successfully. Find out who they used both person and location.
Good Luck
Dyno

****** GM Performance Parts is proud to introduce the LS3 emissions compliant crate engine package. This first E-rod package is designed for automatic transmission applications. It is 50 state compliant and approved for use in California and other states that mirror their standards. ******

Last edited:
There is nothing exceptionally strict about OBDII swaps into an OBDI or non-OBD vehicle. The new engine must have all OBDII functionality, be free of error codes which non-OBD vehicles cannot throw so choosing a donor that was already mated to a standard trans will help otherwise you might need to replace the ECU and/or have it reflashed.

Also, there is nothing wrong with the H55F. The truck is simply retaining the transmission which completely allowed. If you were converting to an auto, you would simply use one that mates up the LS and again would be in compliance.

Replacement cats have to have the CARB number on them and there are loads of options. I have new cats on my 60 and 80 none of which are OEM with custom exhausts and all of which pass smog exceptionally well. Exhaust shops install this stuff day in and day out and will make you a system that is compliant. It should go without saying, if your engine has pre and post O2 sensors you will need to have them hanging there so the shop can install the bungs for them.

BTW, I have been through this process so am speaking from first hand experience. There is certainly nothing wrong with discussing with your BAR ref. Mine was a really nice guy and enjoyed talking shop. I, however, did not speak to him prior, I just followed the rules. That is all the ref will do. They will not make them up as they go, just follow them to the letter. If you show up with an error code free LS swap with all emissions in place and functioning, OBD port under the dash, etc... you will pass. If not, you won't, it's just that simple.

Frank

Thank you all for the great advice, it is much appreciated. Do any of you know of any reputable shops that are experienced in LS3 swaps in FJ60s and are reasonable with their labor costs? I am fully aware that this is a huge investment and is going to take considerable time/money to complete. Im just looking for a good shop that I can trust.

TLC in CA? Well Sorted Automotive in CO? Landcruiser NW in Portland?

Thanks for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom