FJ60 Electrical Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Everyone,

I have a 1985 FJ60 with a full aftermarket stereo. Head unit, 5.5's in the front, 6x9's in the rear side panels. The back speakers do not work. How can I test and see if it is the wiring or the speakers? Also, where does the rear wire run and how can I re-run wire to the rear speakers?

All help is appreciated. I'm mechanically proficient just not electrically proficient.

First, your radio probably has a bias control that can be used to bias front or back speakers. Check to make sure the bias isn’t all front. Second, each speaker will have 2 wires. You can buy a cheap voltage meter at Home Depot or an auto parts store. With the radio on put one probe on to each wire. If there is voltage present the problem is likely with the speaker. If no voltage either the line is broken, the line is not plugged into the head unit, there is a blown fuse in the line, or the head unit is defective. Hth

I believe there were no rear speakers originally, so any wires would be aftermarket (correct me if I'm wrong) and you'll have to trace it. if the bias control and fuse checks out, I'd look to the connections behind the head unit as well as the speaker itself. Then continuity check the wires, and/or try a known good speaker on the truck wire, then known goof wire on truck speaker. If that doesn't work, see what happens when you switch the front and rear connections at the head unit. If only the rears work now, the problem is in the head unit

DSCN9830.JPG

RagingRoulette.gif

1584171839677.png

🤔

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom