FJ60 Ditch Light? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Are there any pioneers out there that make ditch light brackets we can use on our 60s? Looking for some light options other than a roof rack or a bumper mount.

They make some for the 80 series that bolt on under the mirror, has anyone got creative with their rigs in a similar way? Always scratch my head as to why there seems to be a ditch light bracket for most other models out there but our trucks.

If you have some post some photos!!

80 series pictures for reference

D605C6E5-4075-4A93-8667-8E4F1829F058.jpeg

00478B2F-E8DC-4A72-8342-60BB234A5A76.png

James, can’t say I’ve ever heard the term “ditch light”. Is this a fixed mount or directional via a inside handle? Similar to a police light.

These are fixed lights, usually mounted in an area where the bracket slips through an existing panel gap, or in the pictures above mounted under the mirror using existing hardware to bolt up to

See this photo of a 4Runner with the lights mounted in the gap between the hood and the trucks body

DE0A1A23-CCF7-406F-B67D-C9CDA091143A.jpeg

FYI that light is sold by a company called Rigid industries and is a pretty good LED light for slow speed use. I run a pair of Baja designs Squadron LED lights on my 450 woods bike for both the low and high beams....not at all road legal but i have plenty of light. A pair of squadrons with a harness will run you close to $600 where a pair of the Rigids will run about $200 iirc. I have a pair of the rigid lights as well and intend to mount them on my Kubota for better night time visibility.

730001_l.jpg

FYI that light is sold by a company called Rigid industries and is a pretty good LED light for slow speed use. I run a pair of Baja designs Squadron LED lights on my 450 woods bike for both the low and high beams....not at all road legal but i have plenty of light. A pair of squadrons with a harness will run you close to $600 where a pair of the Rigids will run about $200 iirc. I have a pair of the rigid lights as well and intend to mount them on my Kubota for better night time visibility.

730001_l.jpg

Id like to mount either the Baja or the rigids . Hence the quest for a ditch light bracket to mount those on. Can’t wait to get some real lights

Looking at this picture of an aftermarket 62 mirror it looks like you could pull the mount bolt out that holds the mirror onto the bracket. Perhaps you could replace that bolt with a longer one and then sandwich a light mounting tab between the mirror and the base. Maybe even route your wires for the lights back through the mounting bracket and door to keep things hidden.

166-01R-L-NA-big.jpg

If the prospective light mounts could fold in with the mirror in tight spaces, functionality and interest might go up...thinking this one through as well...

I have four LED flood lights mounted to the bumper. They are on magnets so I can re position them if needed . They do a great job of lighting up the sides of the road

DSCN4245 (2).JPG

DSCN4245 (3).JPG

Any progress on this? Would love to find some ditch lights mounts for my 60

Looking at this picture of an aftermarket 62 mirror it looks like you could pull the mount bolt out that holds the mirror onto the bracket. Perhaps you could replace that bolt with a longer one and then sandwich a light mounting tab between the mirror and the base. Maybe even route your wires for the lights back through the mounting bracket and door to keep things hidden.

166-01R-L-NA-big.jpg
I have those mirrors on my 60, and have been thinking about making this kind of bracket.
I think adding weight to the mirror is a bad idea, as the door panel already flexes just from the big euro mirrors.

Just my opinon

E-

Ive spent way too much time on this already but here's my take on the Ditch Light. Just a prototype right now. Pictured is a 3D print so I can test fitment, Afterwards these will be made from steel.

What strayed me away from the mirror mount was wire feeding for FJ60 Owners, You would have to drill into your door to feed the wire through, Sure yeah you could just feed the wire into the hood from the mirror but all that slack would be ripped out by the first tree branch you meet.

Mounting in the engine bay produces some very very tight tolerances, Getting every bend right is a nightmare. Nonetheless Ive got it figured out.
If there's no interest ill drop the project now but if there is interest i can try and have these made pretty soon

Mirror mounted lights would be 100% doable if the general public is okay with drilling into their fj60 behind the mirror and possibly into the side mirrors base.

-Chase

proto1.jpg

Last edited:
I’m not a fan of putting lights in a permanent position. I’m looking to use suction cups from www.seasucker.com to allow me to remove them when not in use.

I used these suction cups on my Motorcoach to hold a cellphone booster antenna and really did a great job.

9366E500-ADF3-49CD-A44E-9DDEC0C33769.jpeg

Alright Attempt No. 2. If anyone's interested in these brackets speak now or forever hold your peace. Final versions will be made from Powder Coated steel.
FJ60 Owners would either have to drill a hole behind the mirror which would be completely concealed by the mirror to feed wires through or feed them through the fenders.
FJ62 Owners dont have to drill as im pretty sure there's already a hole from the power mirrors.

My headlight really brings out the crap in my body paint lol
trial2.jpg
trial2a.jpg

Last edited:
Ive spent way too much time on this already but here's my take on the Ditch Light. Just a prototype right now. Pictured is a 3D print so I can test fitment, Afterwards these will be made from steel.

What strayed me away from the mirror mount was wire feeding for FJ60 Owners, You would have to drill into your door to feed the wire through, Sure yeah you could just feed the wire into the hood from the mirror but all that slack would be ripped out by the first tree branch you meet.

Mounting in the engine bay produces some very very tight tolerances, Getting every bend right is a nightmare. Nonetheless Ive got it figured out.
If there's no interest ill drop the project now but if there is interest i can try and have these made pretty soon

Mirror mounted lights would be 100% doable if the general public is okay with drilling into their fj60 behind the mirror and possibly into the side mirrors base.

-Chase

View attachment 3084083
Did this project ever get off the ground? I’d be interested in a set!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom