Fj60 Desmog (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Whats the best way to desmog the good old 2F in a 1985 Fj60 I see Man a fre has has a smog pully/ egr block off kit and weber 38C carb anf distributor
Is this a good way to go?
Thank you

I’m going through this as well- use the doc in the below link. Lots of search results on here will yield different opinions- some like Weber, some don’t. A lot of people keep the stock housing and carb. I went with the JimC kit and had him rebuild my carb and recurve my distributor. Make sure you’re gentle removing the hoses from the plastic nipples or have spare parts on hand- they tend to break. While it isn’t terribly difficult, it usually will not be as easy as you hope.

Definitely start soaking the bolts in PB a few days in advance, and read the “How to Desmog a 2F” bible until it all makes sense.

If you run into any issues, the folks on the board are a pretty awesome resource.

Good luck!

I’m going through this as well- use the doc in the below link. Lots of search results on here will yield different opinions- some like Weber, some don’t. A lot of people keep the stock housing and carb. I went with the JimC kit and had him rebuild my carb and recurve my distributor. Make sure you’re gentle removing the hoses from the plastic nipples or have spare parts on hand- they tend to break. While it isn’t terribly difficult, it usually will not be as easy as you hope.

Definitely start soaking the bolts in PB a few days in advance, and read the “How to Desmog a 2F” bible until it all makes sense.

If you run into any issues, the folks on the board are a pretty awesome resource.

Good luck!

Read the thread attached above, 4 times. Then search heavily.

Everything you have wondered, has been answered 1,000 different ways.

I printed that how to Desmog an Fj60 article ordered stuff from Jim C
so on our way

Good luck!

Thanks printed the article

"A lot of people keep the stock housing and carb."

-"Housing"?

Before you go spending money on a carb or carb rebuild check out the Holley Sniper efi. It is a little more than a carb but soooooo worth it. I went from a badly running half a$$ed desmogged rig to a full desmog and hop in turn the key to prime and fire it up. No more choke and it runs like a sewing machine. Oh, not to mention 3 vac lines in all. I owe it all to Dustin Massina's thread.

Before you go spending money on a carb or carb rebuild check out the Holley Sniper efi. It is a little more than a carb but soooooo worth it. I went from a badly running half a$$ed desmogged rig to a full desmog and hop in turn the key to prime and fire it up. No more choke and it runs like a sewing machine. Oh, not to mention 3 vac lines in all. I owe it all to Dustin Massina's thread.
Me too. Damned thing flat scoots into traffic now. And idles along up hills and over rocks.
Thanks @Dustin Messina & @wngrog

Also your stock carb will handle a full desmog just fine. But Holley sniper is a great upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom