FJ60 Crank windows hard to roll down, pulling down weatherstripping on all 4 doors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, ive got a new to me 87 FJ60 and am getting the odds and ends fixed on it and am kind of stumped on this one. Every window is hard to roll down. They seem to be not rolling down straight up and down, but kind of at a slight angle, this seems to be putting friction on the weatherstripping that it runs in, and pulls the rubber down out of the door with the window as you roll the window down. Ive tried cleaning the rubber, and using generous amounts of silicone spray but it didnt seem to help. It almost like the angle of the window coming down is pinching and dragging the rubber down or something.

Is there an alignment on the regulators in the door? Or could this be worn out regulators? If thats the case, i can find the front regulators on rock auto for pretty cheap, anyone have any leads on rear regulators?

Thanks!

You may be able to slightly move the window channels (at least in the rear doors) to tighten the gap in which the window slides up and down, but I suspect many things are worn or crusty. Pull the door panel, reinstall the window winder handle, and gently move it back and forth and watch for worn out nylon bits, etc. New window runs surely would help. Most rear windows aren't work out, unless they were operated by kids seated in the back for many years.

You may be able to slightly move the window channels (at least in the rear doors) to tighten the gap in which the window slides up and down, but I suspect many things are worn or crusty. Pull the door panel, reinstall the window winder handle, and gently move it back and forth and watch for worn out nylon bits, etc. New window runs surely would help. Most rear windows aren't work out, unless they were operated by kids seated in the back for many years.

I just pulled apart the front two doors and checked out the gears. The gears when the window is halfway down are all chewed up and the regulators are making a kind of clicking sound. Looks like im in for replacing the front. I was thinking the rears wouldnt be as worn out, but they are pulling down the runs worse than the front haha. Ill look into new runs and regulators. The fronts did have a little adjuster thing to help with the angle but they didnt really help my issue too much .

When the regulator wears out, the window is much harder to roll up and down. Replace the driver's regulator and assess the improvement. Spraying any lube in the channel next to the window is the beginning of the end. It will collect dirt and make things even worse.

When the regulator wears out, the window is much harder to roll up and down. Replace the driver's regulator and assess the improvement. Spraying any lube in the channel next to the window is the beginning of the end. It will collect dirt and make things even worse.

Yeah it seems like most of the teeth except for the very ends are worn down. The driver spindle that hte crank arm attaches to has a slight bit of off axis spin to it as well. Ill try replacing the regulators and see how that goes. Thanks!

Ill look into new runs and regulators.
After cleaning/lubing regulators that had no visible damage, all windows were good except the driver's. Window run replacement fixed it.

Only adjustment is forward and rearward pitch of the glass. This is a SLOTTED hole on the forward lower arm 10mm bolts that hold the regulator to the metal door. Pay attention to the location of your old 10mm bolt. There will probably be a ghost mark on the door paint where the bolt was and adjust the pitch by loosening this screw and making sure the glass is even at the top then re-tighten.

1603995296541.png

If your glass is uneven at the top then possibly this bolt came loose. But reality is that your regulators are just worn out. There is NO side to side adjustment.

As I recall one of the holes is tricky to get to. Have to go thru a service hole in the metal of the inner door. May have to put the crank handle back on the regulator and move it up and down to get it in the right position. Also I remember having to angle the regulator downward to get that forward lower screw in. Rather than try and put your hand up inside the door metal and blindly stab the bolt into the regulator and hole.

1603996027061.png

Only adjustment is forward and rearward pitch of the glass. This is a SLOTTED hole on the forward lower arm 10mm bolts that hold the regulator to the metal door. Pay attention to the location of your old 10mm bolt. There will probably be a ghost mark on the door paint where the bolt was and adjust the pitch by loosening this screw and making sure the glass is even at the top then re-tighten.

View attachment 2480619

If your glass is uneven at the top then possibly this bolt came loose. But reality is that your regulators are just worn out. There is NO side to side adjustment.

As I recall one of the holes is tricky to get to. Have to go thru a service hole in the metal of the inner door. May have to put the crank handle back on the regulator and move it up and down to get it in the right position. Also I remember having to angle the regulator downward to get that forward lower screw in. Rather than try and put your hand up inside the door metal and blindly stab the bolt into the regulator and hole.

View attachment 2480636

Thanks for the info, I tried the weird adjuster slot bolt and it did straighten it up but theres so much slop that i dont think it matters. Looks like 40% of the teeth are worn down to points instead of flat top gears :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom