For Sale FJ60 Complete SOA setup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mcguirejohnson

SILVER Star
Threads
My 60 is getting moved onto an 80 frame & axles so I have decided to let my Spring Over Axle setup go.

I did all the work myself and have mostly everything documented in my build thread (look at signature). I have had this setup on my cruiser for 3.5 years and have put countless road & trail miles on it along the way. It handles fine on the highway and I feel comfortable cruising around 65-75 which is about as fast as you should go in an old cruiser regardless.. The key for making this setup ride perfectly is finding the appropriate shocks with good valving (bilstein 7100s) that can control body roll. That was my only complaint, and I was never able to pony up and get good shocks.

*Something else I'll add. I have read a lot of thread on here where people label SOA setups as "unsafe for the road" or "Handles like crap", etc. but a lot of times without proper seat time or real world experience. I started with a 2.5" lift, then the Shackle reversal with lift springs to finally the SOA and I can honestly say that the spring over rides the smoothest. I think this can be attributed to the fact that instead of using stiff lift springs to achieve height, instead of using the flexy stock springs in a SOA lift. I think I have a pretty good understanding on the ride quality after driving from Austin to LA and up to Colorado multiple times.

Here's what I have:
-Front & Rear FJ60 axles hub to hub
-4:56 gears w/ front aussie locker
-Longfield chromoly front shafts & birfs (lifetime warranty/ bulletproof)
-RuffStuff SOA perches welded on at proper Pinion angle (pointed @ t-case)
-Marlin Crawler HighSteer w/ 25mm bearing upgrade.
-draglink has 80 tres and tie rod has 1-ton tres. I have the other 2 1-ton ones I just never reamed the holes.
-I did a C&T to +5.5 degree castor and it drives straight as an arrow
-Knuckles and wheel bearings still have life. no leaks on axle seals
-FJ62 leaf springs w/ long add a leaf. Have lasted a long time and still hold shape. OME shackles, good bushings
-Custom made Torsion Bar with crossmember DOM tubing
-I'll throw in my shock hoops but my shocks are trash
-I will include a stock D/C driveshaft that you can have lengthened. You will have to find another one used for around $75

I am looking to sell the front and rear axles complete and together as this would make a perfect drop in SOA solution for a 60 series owner or even made to work on a 40 series. I am asking $1500 for everything mentioned, I will entertain offers but I think I am being pretty fair on my price considering the original investment. Pickup would be about an hour southeast of Austin, and I will strap them on a pallet if the buyer pays & arranges the shipping (Fastenal is pretty cheap).

The suspension is still on my 60, so I am going to need a little patience from the buyer, but the latest it will be ready to pick up/ship is Thanksgiving weekend.

Thanks,

McGuire Johnson

*It wont let me upload pics right now, but I will try again later.

Last edited:
Make 60 owners with the typical OME & 33s tremble: @Rockymtnreaper :flipoff2:
IMG_5632.JPG

Random Pics:
IMG_5724.JPG

IMG_5705.JPG

All the technical photos can be found in my build thread

That's a good deal! I wish you were closer. I will check fastenal tpl. Got a zip of the fastenal you use?

Lets talk. I'll send you my info in a P.M.

My 60 is getting moved onto an 80 frame & axles so I have decided to let my Spring Over Axle setup go.

I did all the work myself and have mostly everything documented in my build thread (look at signature). I have had this setup on my cruiser for 3.5 years and have put countless road & trail miles on it along the way. It handles fine on the highway and I feel comfortable cruising around 65-75 which is about as fast as you should go in an old cruiser regardless.. The key for making this setup ride perfectly is finding the appropriate shocks with good valving (bilstein 7100s) that can control body roll. That was my only complaint, and I was never able to pony up and get good shocks.

*Something else I'll add. I have read a lot of thread on here where people label SOA setups as "unsafe for the road" or "Handles like crap", etc. but a lot of times without proper seat time or real world experience. I started with a 2.5" lift, then the Shackle reversal with lift springs to finally the SOA and I can honestly say that the spring over rides the smoothest. I think this can be attributed to the fact that instead of using stiff lift springs to achieve height, instead of using the flexy stock springs in a SOA lift. I think I have a pretty good understanding on the ride quality after driving from Austin to LA and up to Colorado multiple times.

Here's what I have:
-Front & Rear FJ60 axles hub to hub
-4:56 gears w/ front aussie locker
-Longfield chromoly front shafts & birfs (lifetime warranty/ bulletproof)
-RuffStuff SOA perches welded on at proper Pinion angle (pointed @ t-case)
-Marlin Crawler HighSteer w/ 25mm bearing upgrade.
-draglink has 80 tres and tie rod has 1-ton tres. I have the other 2 1-ton ones I just never reamed the holes.
-I did a C&T to +5.5 degree castor and it drives straight as an arrow
-Knuckles and wheel bearings still have life. no leaks on axle seals
-FJ62 leaf springs w/ long add a leaf. Have lasted a long time and still hold shape. OME shackles, good bushings
-Custom made Torsion Bar with crossmember DOM tubing
-I'll throw in my shock hoops but my shocks are trash
-I will include a stock D/C driveshaft that you can have lengthened. You will have to find another one used for around $75

I am looking to sell the front and rear axles complete and together as this would make a perfect drop in SOA solution for a 60 series owner or even made to work on a 40 series. I am asking $1500 for everything mentioned, I will entertain offers but I think I am being pretty fair on my price considering the original investment. Pickup would be about an hour southeast of Austin, and I will strap them on a pallet if the buyer pays & arranges the shipping (Fastenal is pretty cheap).

Thanks,

McGuire Johnson

*It wont let me upload pics right now, but I will try again later.

NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Say it isn't so.

Ok well the upgrade will be even more extreme, very interested to see how it would look and perform on 80 axles front and back. Good luck with the sale bro.

Last edited:
That's a smoking deal. GLWS McGuire!

e
NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Say it isn't so.

Ok well the upgrade will be even more extreme, very interested to see how it would look and perform on 80 axles front and back. Good luck with the sale bro.

It's time for a change, getting bored lol. But thanks man, I'm really exited to tackle it.

That's a smoking deal. GLWS McGuire!

I think so too, hopefully someone enjoys it like I have. Thank you Alex!

Forgot a "flexing photo" I guess that's kinda important for selling a suspension setup...

IMG_5468.JPG

IMG_4654.JPG

I dig your soa but I'm looking forward to your 80 series upgrade. Nice rig, glws:beer:.

You and me both, It's going to be a fun project. Thank you:beer:

That's a good deal!

Does anyone have any idea ballpark on shipping prices for this from Texas to southern WI? Never dealt with fastenal and they are closed now.. maybe someone with shipping experience can chime in for me. Thx..really want these for my 40.

Judging by my past shipping cost experience thru fastenal under $175 if the OP will strap to a pallet and drop off.

I wish this deal would have came up before I droppped 2K on parts for my front axle, seriously killer deal! Do your 40 up right!

This is a seriously great deal. Good luck with your sale.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom