FJ60 clatter under low RPM load (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Might be a long shot to do this on the Internet, but curious if anyone has insight on what could cause this clattering noise my 2F engine makes. It happens at lower RPM, under load (climbing a steep hill). Happens in all gears. Thanks!

Hard to tell by all the various noises going on but maybe the most annoying of lot sounded like the EGR down pipe gasket leaking exhaust.
If the noise is louder in the morning when the engine is cold, that EGR gasket is suspect.

If you know it's not an exhaust leak sound, then check the oil level in the transmission & transfer case (in case one of them is very low on oil)

After listening to that again it really sounds like an exhaust leak.

If you clutch in and hold the rpm up while the noise happens but the truck is still moving, does it stop?

I had this EXACT sound coming from mine under load.
This metal clacking sound is what I thought to be detonation in my FJ60 due to bad dizzy timing. I think it ended up being a bad intake hose and some vacuum leaks that was throwing off the AFR. I have an fj62 engine but the mechanics between my engine and yours are pretty much the same.

If its an exhaust leak you can put your hand near the exhaust gasket and feel hot gas coming from the leak. I would 100% do a vacuum test. Maybe for giggles check your dizzy timing, and check for intake leaks.

Fixing my intake leak and vacuum got rid of this noise for me.

I had this EXACT sound coming from mine under load.
This metal clacking sound is what I thought to be detonation in my FJ60 due to bad dizzy timing. I think it ended up being a bad intake hose and some vacuum leaks that was throwing off the AFR. I have an fj62 engine but the mechanics between my engine and yours are pretty much the same.

If its an exhaust leak you can put your hand near the exhaust gasket and feel hot gas coming from the leak. I would 100% do a vacuum test. Maybe for giggles check your dizzy timing, and check for intake leaks.

Fixing my intake leak and vacuum got rid of this noise for me.
Thanks. Mine is desmogged with a Weber and I just replaced the base gasket (and rebuilt the carb, so I kinda doubt that the intake is bad now. That said I’m still new to all this…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom