FJ60 charcoal canister replacement/plumbing (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Tried searching but I'm still a bit stumped here.

Trying to replace my charcoal canister with ACDelco 215-153.

What's this port on the very back/left of my (pictured) FJ60 canister? I know the front two (still connected) are Purge and Tank, but not sure what the broken one is?

My new canister has purge, tank, and air. I'm pretty sure air is for the into-the-frame tube at the bottom?

Just want to know what the first broken line is on the left of the photo, and how it should be plumbed to the new canister.

aDb7mvH.jpg

I guess that diagram came from the Emission Control System manual:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/attachments/evap-pdf.1005502/

The second page has some more detail about the outer VCV function, used to vent the carb float bowl through the charcoal canister. Seems like I should be able to join it with tank so the float bowl will have a place to vent when ignition is off? When ignition is on it should close the outer vcv isolating it again?

Last edited:
Check out the diagram in this thread.

Aftermarket charcoal canister

It shows how the lines are mapped from original to aftermarket. It looks like they combined carb and tank like you are suggesting.

Help from those who have finished this swap.

I am getting a gas smell coming from under the hood after this swap. When I test the AC Delco part per the FSM, I should not be able to blow air into the purge port, but I can. The manual says the OEM canister would prevent this with a valve.

Did I get a defective part or is this per design on the Delco? Could this be the source of the odor? Would one of you try pushing air in the purge tube for me?

I replaced the charcoal canister with an aftermarket VC120 unit. Goal is to refurbish the OEM can and put back in the truck. No more swoosh when opening the gas cap with this new unit. The short 90 degree hose coming off this valve in the photo was melted and totally occluded. Curious to know what issues that could have been causing?
IMG_4796.jpg
IMG_4796.jpg
IMG_4799.jpg

More gas fumes in the engine compartment. That plumbing vents the carburetor float bowl.

Dealing with idling and acceleration issues ever since some bone head overfilled my tank (No self pump in Oregon). My first issue was gas spilling out of the tank. A couple days later and I can’t even get down the road. After reading nearly ALL the post, I fairly certain it is the charcoal canister.

Currently stuck on the side of the road and am trying to come up with a quick fix. Can I plug the ports going to the carburetor to reduce pressure build up or am I just up sh*t creek without a paddle and need a tow?

A charcoal canister malfunction can't prevent the engine from running. To eliminate it entirely from the engine circuit, pull the bigger vacuum hose that connects to the L pipe fitting at the base of the carb (in the carburetor insulator plate actually) and plug that pipe. You can leave the hose unplugged.

Remove the gas fill cap at the back of the car and stuff a rag into the fill spout to rule out any gas cap issues.

Check to be sure you can see gas sloshing in the carb float bowl when shaking the truck and peering through the inspection window on the carb.

Finally got my 60 running again. Changed out the hoses to the charcoal canister and it fired right back up. Now, after having it run fine for a little more than a day, I’m back at square one.

Symptoms:
-Hard idle when at low rpms
-Will not accelerate and then dies
-After turning off and removing key, engine continues to run and stutter for ~5 seconds

I’ve read several post here that it could be anything from the gas tank, fuel lines and/or the carb. I’m stumped.

Has anyone experienced the same issue and come up with a solution?

*To be noted: I will be swapping out the engine for a Cummins 2.8, but wanted to get some fun outta the 2f without breaking the bank before it ends up on the parts market.

Carburetor may need to be overhauled
Is it a stock Aisin Carb?

Yes, and that is what I was thinking; however, I know the PO had worked on it before purchasi

Yes, and that is what I was thinking; however, I know the PO had worked on it before purchasing.
Did you ever figure out what the issue was? Mine is doing the same thing. I have a carb rebuild kit in the mail. Wondering if I need a canister?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom