FJ60 Carb rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an 87 FJ60 that I have had continuing fuel related starting problems. A few drops of fuel in the carb inlet and it fires right up and runs fine. I rebuilt the carb about 5 years ago and have decided to do it again. What company makes the best carb kit and where can I order it? Also is Pin Heads' YouTube videos still the best instructions for the process?

Don’t know about a kit - but definitely make sure you’ve got the Toyota 2F Engine factory manual. It has detailed info on the carburetor.
If it’s primarily hard starting that’s the issue, the likely culprit is the accelerator pump. Its easy to replace. Doesn’t require a major tear down.
You want your replacement AP to have a leather seal - not rubber. The rubber ones don’t last very long.

Yes, to the Pinhead question, as far as I've seen anyway. As for best kit, I'm only able to get the Walker kit in any reasonable amount of time. It has worked so far and has had decent quality parts.

I have used the Hygrade (now also SMP) kit. The secondary diaphragm that comes in that kit is not for the FJ60 carburetor, but the earlier 2bbl FJ40 carburetors.

Napa sells the secondary diaphragm separately (napa part CRB 24093) as does Cruiser Teq (cruiser outfitters).

I have also used the Keyster kit (made in japan and the OE supplier I think). Keyster Products - Cruiser Teq - https://cruiserteq.com/keyster/

I have been wanting to try the kit from Mike's Carburetor parts but haven't done a rebuild lately: Aisan Toyota Carburetor Kit | Land Cruiser 1975-80 K4422 - https://www.carburetor-parts.com/aisan-carburetor-rebuild-kit-k4422

Last edited:
I got the Walker kit but before I decide to do a full rebuild I am going to check if the accelerator pump is doing its job. With the fuel level in the middle of the sight glass I believe that pushing the accelerator should squirt fuel into the barrel of the carb. I don't believe it does. other than a bad accelerator pump what could cause no fuel to be supplied. I have disconnected the fuel line from the carb and got a steady flow when cranking the engine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom