FJ60 Cabin Fuel Smell (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just replaced the fuel pump on my 84 fj60, and have confirmed the correct line placement as well as that there are no leaks from the lines or the pump, but I after driving it to confirm the fix and parking it, I now notice a fuel smell throughout the cabin. This smell clears after driving but after I park it for any longer than 30 min or so the fuel smell returns. Any ideas? I’m wondering if the new fuel pump may be adding some pressure or change to the system that wasn’t obvious before that could explain this. I don’t notice the smell under the hood at all.

Could be a couple of diff things. You're gonna have to remove the cargo panel and check the evap mess for leaks or cracks in the separator, or you could be getting pressure build up in the tank, now.

There are two hoses the go to the top of the Charcoal canister, in the engine compartment. switch them and see if the smell goes away.

You could also remove the gas cap while parked and see if the gas smell doesn't happen.

But it could be a combination of the pressure forcing gas thru small cracks in OLD fuel hose that prolly isn't Ethanol rated. ANY cruiser that still has original rubber fuel line should all be replaced for safety as well as deteriorating fuel line will easily kill a fuel pump and damage carb.

Fuel cap was tight initially. I loosened it and no more fuel smell. Does that mean I need a new cap? I’m guessing this means the pressure build up in the tank is not being allowed to leak out (as it would with a functioning cap?) thus the vapors reach a high enough pressure to escape from some loose hose somewhere?

In other checks I looked behind the right rear cargo panel. No leaks seen and no fuel along the fender.

No. Cap is designed to vent vacuum, not pressure. Emissions crap. Pressure is building up in system most likely cuz of bad valve in Charcoal canister. Excess pressure in the tank with bad check valve in canister is what makes gas tank seam leak. Tanks were on recall, still may be.

Lot of info on this already posted here. May even be in the FAQ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom