FJ60, brake and battery charge light on (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All--1985 FJ60. The brake light and battery charge light were flickering and then staying on when driving. Also low voltage in instrument cluster, and low voltage with voltmeter at battery when truck was running. I took out the alternator (original toyota part) and had it rebuilt by a shop with a great reputation.

Initially, all issues went away. Also improved starting and brighter lights. Voltage did not drop when accessories were turned on.

Fast forward a few days, and now all the original issues are back. I'm wondering if something with the alternator rebuild failed; or if there is a completely different issue going on. Any help is appreciated.

Test for alternator output voltage from alt case to alt output terminal with engine running. Should be 13.5-14.5V.
If no charging voltage is present, unplug connector, test for batt voltage on the IG terminal in connector with KOEO.
Should be batt voltage there.

If the alt is getting batt voltage to the IG terminal, but is not charging, then the alt is not working.

Hi All--1985 FJ60. The brake light and battery charge light were flickering and then staying on when driving. Also low voltage in instrument cluster, and low voltage with voltmeter at battery when truck was running. I took out the alternator (original toyota part) and had it rebuilt by a shop with a great reputation.

Initially, all issues went away. Also improved starting and brighter lights. Voltage did not drop when accessories were turned on.

Fast forward a few days, and now all the original issues are back. I'm wondering if something with the alternator rebuild failed; or if there is a completely different issue going on. Any help is appreciated.
Hey, Bradley here. Did you get an answer to this issue? My truck (87 FJ60) started to do exactly the same thing this week - brake light and charge light on at the same time, voltage drop to just below 12 but stable. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Clean your ground connections and the battery terminals. You shouldn't be dropping below 12v. something is wrong. Test your alt for voltage output. Test your battery. The alt light came on like it is supposed to because you're below 12v

There was an issue with the rebuild. Took alternator back, the re-repaired it no charge. Everything running great again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom