FJ60 Belt Tensioner/Removal Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cbmontgo

SILVER Star
Threads
I am about to install a new A/C compressor/clutch/dryer in my 60 this week. I am also going to replace my belts while I am in there. I am looking to see where the belt tensioners are. I did a search, but couldn't find exactly what I needed. I am wondering the following:

1. Is the belt tensioner for the alternator the alternator bracket itself? So can I loosen only the alternator to replace this belt?

2. Another belt appears to go to what may be the smog pump (?) where there is another tensioner. Is the pump bracket the tensioner for that belt?

3. I am also going to assume that the compressor itself has a tensioner and that by pulling the compressor, I can easily replace the belt.

Are these assumptions correct? Are there any "tricks" to this? I know it can be a real bitch replacing belts sometimes.

Thanks.

on my rig....smog pump is one of them and the Alt. is the other.

cbmontgo said:
I am about to install a new A/C compressor/clutch/dryer in my 60 this week. I am also going to replace my belts while I am in there. I am looking to see where the belt tensioners are. I did a search, but couldn't find exactly what I needed. I am wondering the following:

1. Is the belt tensioner for the alternator the alternator bracket itself? So can I loosen only the alternator to replace this belt?

2. Another belt appears to go to what may be the smog pump (?) where there is another tensioner. Is the pump bracket the tensioner for that belt?

3. I am also going to assume that the compressor itself has a tensioner and that by pulling the compressor, I can easily replace the belt.

Are these assumptions correct? Are there any "tricks" to this? I know it can be a real bitch replacing belts sometimes.

Thanks.

Correct on all three--smog pump is tensioner for smog pump/water pump belt, alt. is tensioner for alt. belt, and AC is tensioner for AC belt.

Good luck.

Thanks, Jman. After I replace the belts, is it possible to tighten the brackets back down by hand or is the belt tension too high? Seems like it would really be difficult.

Are there any particular things that I need to watch out for?

FSM has the tension specs, and there is a "idler arm" type belt tensioner under the alternator.

M

Mike S said:
FSM has the tension specs, and there is a "idler arm" type belt tensioner under the alternator.

M

LOL, the deflection to used belt with 10 kg of force is 9-12mm in Australian states; in the USA and Canada, the Borroughs belt tension gauge reading for a used AC belt should be 80-120 pounds. :D

I just tension "by hand" and make sure there is about a half inch deflection. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom