fj60 bell housing says 3f, is that normal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
During my motor swap this weekend, I discovered that my bell housing says 3f on the top. My 60 is 1987. I only noticed this after I installed a bell housing from an 84 2f and found that the clutch slave cylinder doesnt bolt up the same. That was the only thing I noticed to be different between the 2. Are there any other differences. I bolted the 3f bell housing to the 84 2f and everything seems fine. I was just curious as to why a 2f would have a 3f bell housing.

Because your truck was built after the world market went to the 3F. NA didn't get the 3FE (EFI vs. world market carb) til 88. The 3F bellhousing is a direct bolt-up to an H55F 5-speed while the earlier bellhousing requires a touch of finessing, I believe.

The 3F bell-housing also "clocks" the trans slightly. I Woulkd say it (the 3f) is more desirable.

Dynosoar:zilla:

The 3F bellhousing rotates the trans and T-case to the passenger side a bit. It was used with the four-speeds that had the extension on the back to make it dimensionally identical to the H55 and to keep the rear driveline angle the same as the shorter assembly. The drawback is the T-case hangs lower. You can use the later four-speeds and the H55 with a 2F bellhousing and everything will be tucked up higher, but the driveline angles may not be ideal. Having seen and installed both with H55s, I like the 2F bellhousing for the better ground clearance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom