FJ60 Axles

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by fj40_rico, Jun 14, 2005.

1. fj40_rico

fj40_rico

I have toying with the idea of going with FJ60. I searched but didn't find what I needed.

I have a 73 FJ40 and I would probably use the diff out of that. but my question is do I use the inners of the fj60 axle? and what would the price for an FJ60 axle be?

Thanks.

- Rico.

2. Isotel

Isotel

Media:
    Albums:
    your third should go right in with no mods, you will use everything elce from the 60 axle including the shafts..

price will be in the $400 range for both..

remember the steering bolt pattern is different

3. cruzer

cruzer

FJ60 front inners are made up of 1 short FJ40 and 1 long Mini truck so its kind of a bastard:) hehe I put FJ60 axles under my truck:) hehe looks good to doeson't it....

www.yankeetoys.org/stewarts/FJ40SOA/SOA1.jpg

biggest PITA is deciding whether to widen the spring perches or cut the housing...from experience i will say it will be easier to widen the spring perches than cut the housing.

Stew

4. e-man

e-man

How hard is it to get the axles. Cause I want thinking I wanted to do the same thing. I recall reading the 60 axles are 3" wider than the 40 axles. I feel that would allow me to get the stance I want and not have to use unusually shallow backspacing on the wheels.

I really want to do Coil-Over on FJ60 axles though.

5. cruzer

cruzer

Just search for somebody parting out and FJ60/62 in your area i got mine for 300 sold the diffs for 200....

you maybe able to purchase an entire fj60/62 for 500-1000 dollars, part it out and keep the parts you want. you will either break even or come close which is decent cause you get the parts you want.

Stew

6. fj40_rico

fj40_rico

I don't want to mess with the front axle so I would probably just keep the spacers I have there.

This might be a dumb question but if I go with the 60 axle and and the 40 diff I wouldn't be able to use a 60 e locker right?

I guess what I want to do is go with an Electric Locker isntead of an ARB or something like the aussie locker.

- Rico.

7. Mike S

Mike S

An e-locker replaces the entire third member. You CAN use the 80 series REAR e-locker in either front or back (FF only) 60 axles, with just minor tweaks and replacing the short side with a non-US axle. This would be an iteresting combo on a 40, since the 80 series lockers are 4.10, and the stock 60 axles are 3.73.

You might have to fab an adapter for the shaft to mate with the 80 series third member, The whole kit of parts - 60 axles, e-lockers - axle shafts - would be about $4K.

M

8. eithegreat

eithegreat

I have some axles that I'd take $300 for. Have a 100k set listed on ebay as we speak complete with EVERYTHING for $350, neg. I'm in central PA.
    -Eddie

9. eithegreat

eithegreat

BTW, does anyone actually recommend FJ60 axles over stock 40 axels with disk brakes? I sort of want that 3inches wider stance...

10. Rock_Hugger

Rock_Hugger

I run them in my 40. But the rear 60 is only 2 " wider than the stock 40 I took out. The front I did a little different and is about 5" wider.

11. bustanutley

bustanutley

The biggest selling point for me was the brakes. I was coming from drums front and rear, made for a big project because I had to replumb the entire truck. After putting these axles in I can say that I am VERY happy with them. The stance feels perfect. I also lengthend my WB to 102" and I am very happy with how my truck works. Now just need some new tires, and I freaking cage :princess:

12. davefj40

davefj40

what's everybody doing for the pass side perch on the front 60 axle? i've seen the perch with the modified bolt system but any other idea's out there?

dave

13. 66fj40x2

66fj40x2

Media:
    Albums:
    If all you want is a wider stance the 60 rear is okay but the front is a PITA.....look at the Sky Manufacturing IFS Widening Kit to widen the 40 front axle.

Mike

14. cruiseroutfit

cruiseroutfit Supporting Vendor Moderator

Rico, why don't you stop by... I happen to know of a couple 40's running 60 axles (mine, Darrell's, Gregs, etc)

I also have a set of complete (hub-hub) 4.11 fine spline FJ62 axles we just pulled...

LMK :D

15. bustanutley

bustanutley

I outboarded, not a big deal just a few more peices to the puzzle, but the width with out the added stress on the steering and wheelbearings is well worth it.

16. jpetersen2323

jpetersen2323

I have an 87 yota truck and completely building a tube chassis from the ground up to make a truggy. I purchased a FJ60 front axle for it complete hub to hub for 350, and I also bought an fj80 locking third member with the 4.11 gears to put in it. the gears are in great shape look new! also just sandblasted the outside of the 3rd and gave it a few coats of rustoleum black. the only thing wrong with it is the electric motor that bolts on the housing is junk. I believe you can also convert the e motor to a cable operated system that is actually easier and more reliable. but i still have the old motor which means you can send it in to be rebuilt for i think 100 to 200 bucks with inchworm i believe??? (correct me if im wrong) but id be willing to sell the third member cuz i just spooled the existing 3rd cuz its offroad only rig. pm me if your interested its a great deal the guy from inchworm said the housing of the 3rd with no gears in it can go for up to 500 bucks and said i could get around 700 bucks for what i have... however i am VERY flexable shoot me offers i will not be turned off by anything.

17. 77TPIFJ

77TPIFJ

Drag up a thread from 2005 and then try to sell something. Try the classifieds.

18. fjwagon

fjwagon

Yep I agree, the fj62 axles would be a better mod than the fj60 axles you are trying to locate.

19. alaska60

alaska60

I bet he found them.......
    he's had 6 and half YEARS to find them!:lol:
    That is chicken s*** though...dragging up a 6 year old thread and post a FOR SALE ON IT!!! I would say welcome to mud but thats not a great start for you MR. PETERSEN!

20. belaw

belaw

The guy from inchworm was blowing smoke up your skirt when he said you could get $500 for the housing with a bad motor and no gears- that's the going rate for a fully functional e-locker diff with stock (4.11) gears.

If you plan to post this up in classifieds you may want to do a reality check on your pricing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.