Builds Fj40 Daily and Wheeler build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That is looking great

Traction bar is on. I also removed the Elocker factory actuator and put on a pneumatic piston. This task was more difficult than I thought. Getting it to work well was a long frustrating time that I finally got it working pretty well. I may upgrade to a bigger piston assembly. They are pretty cheap price wise. I decided to mount the traction bar up higher than before. I tacked it in and is just seems to bind less than when it was lower.
IMG_20150404_225523317.jpg

Last edited:
Your rear end is going to hop with your track bar angled up like that . You achieve anti squat with the forces at play when the front of your track bar is above or behind the front spring hanger . Go try sitting on an obstacle and let your rear tires break free , let them spin and you'll see what I mean .

Your rear end is going to hop with your track bar angled up like that . You achieve anti squat with the forces at play when the front of your track bar is above or behind the front spring hanger . Go try sitting on an obstacle and let your rear tires break free , let them spin and you'll see what I mean .
Do you have any reading material on this?

Any final results on this build? I'm very curious to hear how that front suspension performs...
Oh I didn't see anyone asked, sorry for the way late response. I am really happy with it. The front suspension seems to hook up really well. However in moab I broke my anti wrap bar, and that limited me a bit after that. When I slam on the brakes it does dive a bit depending on what setting I have the shocks set too. It corners well, I haven't really pushed it on the street to its limit yet as far as corners. But it feels pretty stable, but not quite as soft as a soa front suspension. Before the wrap bar broke in moab though, I watched one guy in a 40 that had stretched his wheelbase to over 100" with soa front and rear attempt a dump bump type obstacle like on hells revenge, he struggled a bit. In all fairness it could have been to do with tires as I have siped blue label krawlers. I came after him and crawled right up without trouble.

I got my Orion in, but it doesn't shift to 4low. Also they forgot to give me any o rings for the new idler shaft which was annoying being that I ordered it straight from AA hoping to not have any issues. In addition the bolt they supplied that is turned down is an inch too long. So I just turned down a stock bolt, but they made a big deal about what adapter I am using so they could give me the right bolt kit so I made sure to inform them exactly what I have-again kind of annoying. When assembling the Orion, instead of the adjustable detent screw, the kit just has you put in a bolt. So I put in the bolt, and its really really hard to shift-its way too tight. Anyone run into this? I guess I will just pop the inspection cover and either shim the bolt or just put the screw back in.
IMG_20160228_204001876.jpg

Last edited:
I got my Orion in, but it doesn't shift to 4low.

You want to get that figured out right away before you drive it in 2wd. If you don't have the proper thrust clearance on the output shaft you'll wreck it. It happened to me (built by a reputable shop) and one of the last posts in the pinned Orion thread has a copy of the story as well (shmukster).

Wish you had a head on pic of the before set up with the stock axles. Would help see the difference, if any, between the stock axle with the 2" spacers and the 60 series axle.

Don

Wish you had a head on pic of the before set up with the stock axles. Would help see the difference, if any, between the stock axle with the 2" spacers and the 60 series axle.

Don
It's only 1" wider up front. But the 2"spacers were killing my trunion bearings, and my steering was struggling due to tire scrub, locker made it worse. It also looked just weird when I parked the truck with the wheels turned-like something was broken. The front is much more durable now hopefully. The fj80 axle is about 2 or 3" wider than the rear with spacers was before.

So a little update, I'm really liking this setup, it is very stable. I am thinking of lowering the ride height about an inch. I've also had one traction bar integrity issues, so this winter I will redo my traction bar with more beef. Here is some various suspension pics. I think the front is almost maxed out here with the factory shock towers. But as of yet I haven't lifted a tire with this suspension, when I do I'll take a pic. Guess I need to wheel harder trails lol.The rear still has a lot of flex in it still in these shots and is a ways from being fully flexed.
IMG_20160828_134652733_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160828_134609411_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Rear leaf compressed and front compresses shackle angle...
IMG_20160828_134746684_HDR.jpg
IMG_20160828_134637140.jpg

IMG_20160828_165955380.jpg
So some may wonder how this handles on the road. It does dive when braking more than the shackle up front setup. I don't think its bad or really causes any issues for me in traffic, I drive this to work all the time. Cornering is actually really really good. I can take corners pretty quickly with the wide axles. It is a stiffer ride than a front and rear soa rig. Part of this may be the ranch rs9000's. Rancho doesn't have shocks specifically for a fj40 of this height obviously so they just sent me shocks of the correct length, but I have found the valving front and rear to be too stiff. The adjustable part of the shocks has been very valuable, when I have a full load of people and gear, I hit the in cab controller and crank them up. Or if Im on a steep hill climb, I crank up the rear to compensate for weight transfer. I may see if they make 9000's for a TJ of similar height and weld eyes on the end for my application or get adapters. I figure a TJ is of similar weight and should have close enough valving. Another negative, I set my caster to like 5 or 6 degrees, and I have noticed that the caster like that-while it goes down the freeway really nice, it is tough on the saginaw offroad. Reason being, with that much caster, when you turn, the tires tilt and pivot rather than just pivot with the caster I had before which was 0 degrees(and went down the road terribly) So I think 2 or 3 degrees would be more ideal. I have a big cooler on my power steering, and it it keeps things cool, but I think I may get ram assist some day.

Last edited:
I dig your 40 man. I want Krawlers for mine now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom