FJ60 Air cleaner assembly - diaphragm (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All -

I posted this classified listing for a air cleaner assembly diaphragm. Found out that mine did not hold vacuum when restoring the air cleaner assembly.

Can someone tell me the purpose of this? I see that it opens a bottom side vent when under vacuum.

Also, mine is open to ambient air. Is it suppose to connect via hose somewhere else?

Thanks

When starting cold the vacuum pulls a door that pulls “warm air” from around the exhaust manifold. Once the engine heats up the door closes and “cold air is pulled from the front of the engine bay. This is called the hot air intake system in the 2F emissions manual.

When starting cold the vacuum pulls a door that pulls “warm air” from around the exhaust manifold. Once the engine heats up the door closes and “cold air is pulled from the front of the engine bay. This is called the hot air intake system in the 2F emissions manual.
Wow - thanks for the quick reply

54E67161-4C11-43FD-97E4-A7232ADAD93B.jpeg

Last edited:
This is what is left of a preheat flange that was on a exhaust manifold I acquired a couple of years ago. Most have rusted / disintegrated over time. With a little sheet metal fab work you could make something that would work.
E86C532A-489A-49AA-B35C-DA2EAB103878.jpeg
128AAB65-6471-4A15-976B-3239D8B1C8C1.jpeg

In addition to controlling the Hot Air Intake (HAI) system, that valve also regulates the Hot Idle Compensation (HIC) system. You’ll see a hose running to a tee on the PCV line just above the PCV valve itself. It allows cooler fresh air into the intake below the carb in order to “cool off” the hot engine and lean the mixture out. Probably futile effort, but hey, Toyota was trying to hit US EPA regs.

@stoshzack after sleeping on this thread, I figured I should come back around to say … I don’t think any of those valves work any more. I haven’t found one anyway. A while back I started a whole thread about how either Toyota diagrammed the valve wrong in the FSM or it was never meant to work as intended. I hate to question the wisdom of Mr. T, but it’s completely suspect in my book.

In addition to controlling the Hot Air Intake (HAI) system, that valve also regulates the Hot Idle Compensation (HIC) system. You’ll see a hose running to a tee on the PCV line just above the PCV valve itself. It allows cooler fresh air into the intake below the carb in order to “cool off” the hot engine and lean the mixture out. Probably futile effort, but hey, Toyota was trying to hit US EPA regs.
I’ve heard a few people suggest to take that tee off

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom