FJ60 again...baseline and help with dreaded CA smog (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Apologies in advance for the lengthy post, but I'm excited for a new project yet would like some input on baseline maintenance and how to solve the dreaded CA smog$%!@#&! for a new to me FJ60, my sixth LC in 20 years. I've been reading threads here for a week straight, but could use some help.

I've (almost) gone full circle...55->60->80->100->80 and now just picked up an unadulterated FJ60 that spent 27 years of its life with the original owner in So Cal. Staring to think I should have gone to a 40, the only one I haven't owned, given the CA smog headaches. Full and regular maintenance records since new, including the original purchase contract (buyer paid cash in 1986!). The rust is nominal, nearly nonexistent, in the standard places. There is an air intake leak (manifold, EGR, both, other?) audible at acceleration, but from experience and trolling here I am thinking mainfold gasket, dcrack or both. The seller in NV had a smog test, not passing, but I made the deal.

My intent is to keep this vehicle almost entirely in its stock, original form. I want to first complete the key baseline items to preserve the vehicle and get through smog. I plan to drive it regularly and work through non-key items (tranny swap, etc.) over time.I pulled an F out of a FJ55 instead of attending class one semester and rebuilt it block out. A month later my girlfriend (not the one I married!) hit a moose and totaled it. I later bought an FJ60 with 200k and drove it to AK above the arctic circle and back, twice, after running through it. But I digress, my point is I'm not afraid to get under the hood...but don't have the disposable time I used to. I'll likely balance work between quick and simple (me) with linger and involved (paid mechanic).

During the inspection period the seller graciously let me take the vehicle for a few days to inspect and complete an initial inspection. Following are the key record dates that relate to smog and baseline. Thoughts, recommendations and solutions very much appreciated.

Here's what I've done for initial baseline maintenance and in hopes of improving smog test:

- replaced vacuum lines with material from McMaster-Carr and checked routing per Emission Control Repair Manual
- LOF
- New plugs, wires, cap and rotor
- New fuel filter
- Sea Foam to gas and carb
- New diff, transfer and tranny fluid
- paint restorer and buff

Following are smog numbers pre- and post- baseline items, trying to identify an approach to pass:

Pre-baseline items (non-dyno County):
@Load/2500 rpm
HC: 175 ppm
CO: 3.23%
CO2: 12.8%
02: .14%

@ Idle (high at 1105 rom)
HC: 235 ppm
CO: .01%
CO2: 14.1%
02: 1.44%

...and here are my numbers post-baseline:

@Load/2500 rpm
HC: 212 ppm
CO: 2.30%
CO2: 13.2%
02: .1%

@ Idle (high at 1105 rom)
HC: 165 ppm
CO: .01%
CO2: 12.1%
02: 3.3%

IMG_2945.JPG

Was it regitered and titled as a california vehicle? If so seller is responsible for any repairs needed to get through smog, and he can't get out of it by an agreement that you assume liability for it, california does not allow that. That's how I remember it before I left 12 years ago anyways. Congratulations on the 60!

Greetings,
What were your NOx numbers?

Make sure you've got the emissions manual

Here's a general rule of thumb for variables which impact the sniffer:

%02 - Fuel air mixture - (used for diagnostics)
HC (PPM) - Spark or Air filter or Air Injection
CO (%) - Air Filter or Ignition or carbon deposits - Low O2 values can help diagnose high CO.
NOx (PPM) - Catalytic converter &/or EGR malfunction

Below is a passing FJ60 (2F) test from last year to provide a reference and to show that it IS possible to pass a test in CA.

upload_2015-8-5_22-32-14.png

Finally passed my (first official) smog test today with super clean numbers after spending six weeks running through the entire emissions system, baseline maintenance and then some. I'm excited to be legitimate to to drive this girl wherever I wish. Looking forward to getting a fresh carb from Jim C. under the hood in the next few weeks. Feels like a great accomplishment, thanks to all for the knowledge and help!

Fresh carb rebuild from one of the MUD gurus really makes a noticeable difference.

You didn't mention if you've done it, but a PROPER valve adjustment is critical to good running of these engines. Run an oil with high zddp or additive. Enjoy. Welcome. Vote Trump. :cheers:

Grats....Welcome to the California compliant FJ60 world. Good luck in 2 years. I hope the smog requirements go away within 2 years. Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom