FJ60 (85) 2F in a FJ40 (78) - Keep Smog working with emissions controller? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 78 FJ40 that needs a new engine (it was previously desmogged with a Holley carb). I have bought a 2F from a 85 FJ60 that I am going to stick in as a replacement. The engine and all the smog equipment work, so ideally I would like to keep it on rather desmogging and having the dissy recurved.

So the question is, has anyone used the 78 wiring harness to control the 85 smog equipment (studying the diagram it looks like the may be challenges or part that may not work correctly). The alternative is to splice in part of the 85 wiring harness to control the VSVs and carb etc. and use the 81 and up emissions controller.

Has anyone done this mod at all? I would ideally like to do it in a way that it can be reversed at a later stage. Looking for a bit of feedback from the experts, thanks in advance.

I've had FJ-40s and 55s for 40 years, but don't consider myself an expert...Just my 2 cents, but as the '78 is old enough to de-smog, why not just do that? Keep all the stuff in a nice box, don't butcher (as would be the result if I tried it) anything and then if later you want to go a different route, there'll be less to reverse...Anyway, good luck. My first Landcruiser was a '78 and the first Texxas Jam was in '78, so I always see 1978 as a very good year!

I've had FJ-40s and 55s for 40 years, but don't consider myself an expert...Just my 2 cents, but as the '78 is old enough to de-smog, why not just do that? Keep all the stuff in a nice box, don't butcher (as would be the result if I tried it) anything and then if later you want to go a different route, there'll be less to reverse...Anyway, good luck. My first Landcruiser was a '78 and the first Texxas Jam was in '78, so I always see 1978 as a very good year!
Thanks. That is what I think I’m going to have to do. Had hoped to make it work but I think it will end up being too much effort for no gain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom