FJ60+62+(Z)80+ v8 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I vote build an L59 or similar ...for my own selfish reasons B-)

I am certainly considering that. But kind of after the cheapest route that gets me the best v8 with my budget. Looking like that would be an L33. Not in a huge hurry, needing to buy a new work truck too.

Cheers

v8 will just end up being the best I can get for my budget which is $2-4k. I may also have to get a new adapter if my trans is the pre-97. Vortec I got now is a 97, cut off year on trans. The 4L60e I have now has a shift kit and a tune on it and I absolutely love it so will at least do that to whatever trans I use. I have a 6L + 4L80e in one of my work trucks and it has been great, new to 200,000 miles now. For my budget though the L33 is looking nice. From what I have seen looking so far it would take a budget of $5-6k to jump to the next level of motors. Cheapo 5.3L and then build it up is still an option but from my limited research I am looking at near $5k to get it close to 400hp unless I do the rebuild myself. Not so interested at this time in doing any v8 rebuilding myself, bit deeper than I want to dig into this whole project. Once completed, if I feel the need for more hp it won't be a big deal to do some work to the motor.

Lot's of time in the man cave recently so have defined the build a bit more in my head.

*FJ62 with 60 front clip, fresh paint, sound deadening, bed liner where appropriate. Restored interior, lot's of new OEM parts. 2-seater with ProCar front seats and camping platform in the back. Engel 45L fridge on slide, LED lighting out the back, x2 Odyssey batteries, National Luna battery kit and other goodies.

*FJ80 chassis, frame+suspension+axles+steering = Slee 4" + Fox resi + FZJ80 axles, RuffStuff front housing + GM 1-ton Y-link with King damper. 80 p/s box and 62 column and steering wheel. May switch to King 2.5 shocks some time in the future. Probably going to go with custom RLCA, uppers will be adjustable. Already have f&r adjustable panhards. Nothing crazy with suspension, keeping the front radius arms and rear configuration. Definitely running sway bars, I ran the 80 without for over 4 months and while ok lacks on road for me. I am fine with how the 80 suspension works, handles and flexes for the type of use this truck will see. Probably going to paint the rolling chassis while everything is torn down.

*v8 + auto, new set up within my budget of $4k max. I have all the heavy gauge wiring I need for relocating batteries, winch control box and more. Very nice UMP large canister air box, uses Donaldson dry filters. Planning on mechanical fan and custom shroud. Custom motor mounts. Planning on as flat of a belly as possible. Custom radiator will be needed too. The old 5.7L vortec from the 80 going in a work truck with a blown motor.

*FJ60 split case, ready to rock and roll, have both 80 and 62 driveshafts to work with and modify.

*Custom made 40ish gal fuel tank, behind rear axle.

*17" wheels and 35-37" rubber. For the build I have both for test purposes.

*New 80 master cylinder and maybe a rebuild on the master vac. New brake lines where needed. Already have new rotors and pads but will be getting new calipers to finish it off.

*Elevated breathers to a catch can.

*Hoping to keep my Slee front bumper and winch set up but if it is to wide or looks funky or simply can't be made to work with the 62, new custom bumper. Rear bumper is going to need to be made, I got a new pipe bender and notcher just waiting to go. My "step" sliders are probably going to be to wide needing to be modified or re-made.

*New Thule bars and maybe a new ARB awing if mine is to trash to salvage. My water source for trips is a Roadshower and a 6gal Front Runner jug. Plenty for me for up to a week.

That is about it really. It will be my adventure/overland truck, that is what I use my Cruisers for. All I really need to buy at this time is the engine + trans combo plus the RS front housing. By the way, I am going to the RS housing for a number of reasons. Increased housing strength, no need for a diff skid, but most of all I will be cut and turning it to set caster and I want to set up all the suspension brackets myself at the same time. I am not going to be stripping the paint on the 62, rather just a sand back and respray in my shop. There is very few dents to deal with on the 62 and I don't care about those I care about rust and the 62 has none!

I been working on stripping the 80 to a rolling chassis. I am down to dash, front fenders and engine bay. Everything else is stripped, bagged and tagged + boxed up. No idea on time frame for this build but I do have some other projects that I can push aside to work on this build. That being a 68 Patrol resto, my 77 Ute build and my 83 rock crawler. Although the Ute's diesel motor is due out of the machine shop any day now and that will make it hard not to work on that truck since I have pretty much everything to build it too! :rolleyes:

Cheers

Last edited:
I got a L96 for 1400 on car-part.com

Thanks for the link. I didn't know about that site. Lot's of potential on there, might be able to do something better than the L33 after all.

Cheers

Sucks on the 80. So the existing v8 is just not going to last I take it or just want an upgrade?

Still got that super diesel sitting around??? Have we finished any of the other builds that pay $$?

do you have a thread started on the UTE? Love to see some of that project!

Sucks on the 80. So the existing v8 is just not going to last I take it or just want an upgrade?

Still got that super diesel sitting around??? Have we finished any of the other builds that pay $$?

Hey man...

Nah existing vortec is fine for the most part, sucky exhaust and motor mounts but otherwise no issues. I just want to upgrade, now I have an excuse to do it and it is a good time too. On top of that need a new motor in a 94 Chevy work truck, pretty sure the 5.7L will bolt right up. New clutch and solid NV4500 in that truck, it is a good work truck just bad knock in the 350 TBI.

Yep, super diesel is going back in the Patrol it was meant for. All I need is a custom clutch and I can bolt all the drivetrain in my Patrol.

No have not finished any of the Patrol resto's yet. Deep in them still but buying the property where I live, ton's of work (normal 9-5) and expanding that business hogging most of my time as of late. Lot's happening with them though, lot's not posted on this forum. Will update some threads before to long.

do you have a thread started on the UTE? Love to see some of that project!

Check my signature.

Cheers

So what do you guys think about having the knuckle balls chromed? I could also go nickle plating or a variety of other platings. I am thinking nickle or chrome though. I saw an Aussie dude do this years ago on his 70 series build up. Seems to me this is the best way to get a nice sealing surface at the knuckle seals. Last a long time with good care, will resist grooves and rust/pitting better than raw steel.

Since I am cutting off the knuckle balls on my spare housing it will be the perfect time to get this done before welding on the RS housing.

Cheers

strip.JPG

Been wanting to buy one of these for years...

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/...e_Code=ABS&Product_Code=HB01&Category_Code=HP

Purchased it today. In prep for painting the 62 but also for lot's of other painting I need to do. If you really look into the subject of painting and use quality paint you will find it is super nasty stuff and even your canister filters don't cut it. I bought the full face mask unit since some of the nasty toxins in paint can even penetrate through your eyes. Nervous system damage is not a price I am willing to pay building my own trucks. Not to mention the fresh air system is useful for big grinding jobs, no more black boogers form me!! :)

Cheers

Been wanting to buy one of these for years...

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/...e_Code=ABS&Product_Code=HB01&Category_Code=HP

Purchased it today. In prep for painting the 62 but also for lot's of other painting I need to do. If you really look into the subject of painting and use quality paint you will find it is super nasty stuff and even your canister filters don't cut it. I bought the full face mask unit since some of the nasty toxins in paint can even penetrate through your eyes. Nervous system damage is not a price I am willing to pay building my own trucks. Not to mention the fresh air system is useful for big grinding jobs, no more black boogers form me!! :)

Cheers

I, I've always wanted one of those, let us know how you like it.

I'll make my routine wrecking yard visits this coming week. I'll see what I can find on the L92 for you. Always a plethora of Yukons and 1500/2500s in these 2 yards. I'll call you if I run across anything of worth.

J

I, I've always wanted one of those, let us know how you like it.

X2.

I've been eyeing one too.... I have a lot more isocyanides to spray before this thing is done....

Dan

Good call on the PPE. I worked with commercial painters for a few years- everyone was prematurely bald, and most of the old guys had the signature shakes and spasms. High price to pay just to earn a living. Suit up, it's just a temporary inconvenience versus a lifetime one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom