FJ60/62 OEM Mudflaps (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would give anything short of sexual favors for good quality reproductions. I have literally one mudflap left on my 62 that's falling off (taking it off today). You just can't beat the look of nice new looking Toyota mud flaps.

Refurbished back flap pair:

New back flap pair:

somebody should 3-D print some... (that's my suggestion for everything plastic/rubber that is NLA)

New back flap pair:
Jesus Christ someone's been hitting the crack rocks.

@Rusto can durable rubber parts be 3D printed? Be awesome if it could be done with some good strong brackets that wouldn't rust away like the metal ones. Even better if they would be inexpensive enough that it wouldn't be heartbreaking to replace them if one got damaged.

I've been thinking about this— the best option might be a 3D printed or fabricated bracket that mates to the body and can use a urethane sheet as the mud flap itself. This way the flap portion can be replaced; urethane is pretty durable and what rally flaps are made from but doesn't last forever. The tricky part about the 60 series is the mount points are far apart and not at all on the same plane as where the flap wants to be, hence the complex shape of the OE cast ones.

@Spook50 you cant use rubber, as to 3D print, the material has to be controllable fluid and rubber isnt. But apparently "thermoplastic elastomers" are a good substitute but a bit tricky to work with.

TPEs have different properties that can made more flexible, more rigid etc.
I have no experience in 3D printing other than casual interest, but I think someone that knows what they are doing could pull it off.

New back flap pair:

that’s crazy talk!! i paid just over that for my whole truck a it came with those mud flaps

i really do want to find a good solution for my fronts though.

If anyone is still interested i have a set of 4 mudflaps in classified that are in immaculate condition for not being restored. selling them for much cheaper than those 2, and i am willing to trade. Was just about to post it to ebay but wanted to try one last time on here so a Mud member can get them.

I really wish @ToyotaMatt would take this project on. His stuff is QUALITY!!
Honestly all you really need to do is cut out sheets of rubber in the same pattern and glue them together to match. I have been wanting to use the set i have to create templates but have to many projects im already building. Honestly once you get a good jig built it would probably take one person a couple hours to actually make a set.

I've just inquired on the site below for the cost of these reproductions. I would want to see them before ordering a group buy.

It could be great or terrible. If these do end up being quality, the more we order the cheaper they would likely be. I'll post what I hear back.

I've just inquired on the site below for the cost of these reproductions. I would want to see them before ordering a group buy.

It could be great or terrible. If these do end up being quality, the more we order the cheaper they would likely be. I'll post what I hear back.
I'm certainly curious, but sure wish they still had the raised TOYOTA lettering.

Would be awesome to find a quality reproduction. Been looking for a while, and even considered getting my brother, a packaging engineer, to make a mold of the stock ones, but there's quite a bit involved. I have the driver's side only and can't seem to locate any for the passenger side, and would pay good money for a whole or even partial set.

Would be awesome to find a quality reproduction. Been looking for a while, and even considered getting my brother, a packaging engineer, to make a mold of the stock ones, but there's quite a bit involved. I have the driver's side only and can't seem to locate any for the passenger side, and would pay good money for a whole or even partial set.
$329 on EBay, seller is in EAU

Toyota Land Cruiser FJ62 Front & Rear Mud Flaps Splash Guards Rock OEM Genuine | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Land-Cruiser-FJ62-Front-Rear-Mud-Flaps-Splash-Guards-Rock-OEM-Genuine-/254472882544?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

I bought a full set in fair condition from a Mudder with the intent of making moulds and reproducing them, but my skills and equipment to do that are amateur at best. Would send them to you to use for mouldmaking with the caveat that you return them with repros when you're done, or just send them back if the project falls through.

My intent was to make both a 1:1 replica of the OE flaps as well as a set with greater coverage on the flap portion that still mounted up the same way as the stock ones— since for lifted trucks with bigger tires the factory flaps don't cover much. Casting them in urethane, possibly with an internal FRP/GFRN stiffener, would lead to long life and no corrosion.

.....Would send them to you to use for mouldmaking with the caveat that you return them with repros when you're done, or just send them back if the project falls through.....
Brother says it's doable, and if I have his explanation right, he would 3-D print from OEM versions, then use the print to make a mold. Says he would use some shop in China to make the mold for a perfect match. Says the new rubber flaps would be identical to stock, just without the white lettering, and would cost a couple grand or more to get all set up. Guess if I could sell enough sets, it might be worth the endeavour. Maybe. Maybe not. I'm surprised no one has done this yet, maybe he's missing something, but he's done all kinds of stuff like this before. I also wonder how Mr. Toyota would feel about reproductions that carry Toyota on them — perhaps the "Toyota" and "Land Cruiser" stamps would have to be left off for copyright reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom