FJ60/62 - Has anyone done an Automatic to Manual Transmission Conversion (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just wondering if anyone had done an Automatic to Manual transmission conversion in either a 60 or a 62?
If so, how much work is actually involved in this process?
I've been looking at some 60's but there are a lot more 62's on the market, but I really am not a fan of the automatic transmission in the 62...
Thanks!

Many have. Just do a search for "H55" in 60's Tech. I'm spinning up to do a conversion on my 62 as well. Still have some parts (including new 33" tires) to get once the new baby expenses settle into a consistent budget, but hopefully before winter hits I'll be able to do it.

Bell housing , tranny, xfer case, peddle bucket, crossmember, clutch parts, drive shafts.... A parts rig might make it easyer and cheaper .

Shoot mmw68 a PM. He did that in his 62.

If you're buying a 62 just to do a conversion to a manual tranny, don't buy a 62 - find the 60 you want. It'll be cheaper, if you want a 5spd, much easier if you buy a post 5/85 FJ60, and the 2F vs 3FE (no flames, please) is a more robust motor; plus, you get the groovy round 7" headlights!

Sure, you'll have a carb vs FI and I think the 62 dash is nicer w/ power windows and mirrors, but that'll depend on your driving needs.

ClemsonSkier said:
Just wondering if anyone had done an Automatic to Manual transmission conversion in either a 60 or a 62?
If so, how much work is actually involved in this process?
I've been looking at some 60's but there are a lot more 62's on the market, but I really am not a fan of the automatic transmission in the 62...
Thanks!

Yes!!! Have just done a conversion, relatively easy if u know how it all works and u can get all the right parts. I done mine for under 2 gran. Some things to consider that u will need: tailshafts, make sure the yoke is the same stud pattern they do vary, pedalbox- a prik to get in by the way! Clitch and release cylinders. Flywheel, crossmember, engine hoist comes in handy to. U also need to bridge out the neutral safety switch- other wise the car won't turn over. Its a big job but if u have all the right parts it saves time and money. I'd suggest getting a wrecked car with a good box, also if u can use the auto transfercase as the low range gearing is lower, highs the same, hope this helps, and remember if the wife says no she means yes :)

If you're buying a 62 just to do a conversion to a manual tranny, don't buy a 62 - find the 60 you want. It'll be cheaper, if you want a 5spd, much easier if you buy a post 5/85 FJ60, and the 2F vs 3FE (no flames, please) is a more robust motor; plus, you get the groovy round 7" headlights!

Sure, you'll have a carb vs FI and I think the 62 dash is nicer w/ power windows and mirrors, but that'll depend on your driving needs.
I hear that, my 62 here in aus has a carb. I like the dash too but power windows are problematic at times (at least the switches)

Yes!!! Have just done a conversion, relatively easy if u know how it all works and u can get all the right parts. I done mine for under 2 gran. Some things to consider that u will need: tailshafts, make sure the yoke is the same stud pattern they do vary, pedalbox- a prik to get in by the way! Clitch and release cylinders. Flywheel, crossmember, engine hoist comes in handy to. U also need to bridge out the neutral safety switch- other wise the car won't turn over. Its a big job but if u have all the right parts it saves time and money. I'd suggest getting a wrecked car with a good box, also if u can use the auto transfercase as the low range gearing is lower, highs the same, hope this helps, and remember if the wife says no she means yes :)
Doing the same but does the floor hump support the manual and auto stick and shifter positions?

I haven't lifted the carpet yet but noticed the hump is wider on my fj62 auto than Hj61 manual.

Doing the same but does the floor hump support the manual and auto stick and shifter positions?

I haven't lifted the carpet yet but noticed the hump is wider on my fj62 auto than Hj61 manual.
Yep
Just did mine. Removable plates are under the carpet for thifter.
Other than sourcing pedal buckets, bell housings, cross members etc.....the only modifications to the actual vehicle are
1. Drill a hole foe clutch master. The metal is pre-stamped from the factory on where to drill.
2. You need to fabricate your own floor plate to cover up where the automatic shifter went through the floor. I just cut an old license plate and attached it.

I’m an idiot with no skill and was able to get it done (though I do have smart snd skilled friends 😀)

Lol I was "spinning up" to do it in 2011. It actually got done in 2020. My H55F conversion was the only good thing to come out of last year.

Lol I was "spinning up" to do it in 2011. It actually got done in 2020. My H55F conversion was the only good thing to come out of last year.
How are those baby expenses settling in?

How are those baby expenses settling in?
Oh fantastic. Baby expenses turned to second baby expenses, then to divorce expenses, then to custody battle expenses, then to emergency home repair expenses that my insurance tried to stiff me on, and now digging myself out of deep hole expenses (slow progress but there's progress).

But boy that H55F and nice new suspension that I did at the same time make my 62 a joy to drive again.

1. Drill a hole foe clutch master. The metal is pre-stamped from the factory on where to drill.
2. You need to fabricate your own floor plate to cover up where the automatic shifter went through the floor. I just cut an old license plate and attached it.
Cool, I have both auto and manual shells so will have the parts, you made my day. I'm doing a cab swap but ones fj auto (good cab) onto hj manual chassis (rusty cab), not fussed if the auto doesn't fit under the old hj cab. Cheers 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom