FJ60 5 Speed Upgrade, CA Emissions Rules (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone,

I am looking to do an H55f upgrade in my FJ60. The FJ came from CA and previously passed smog before I bought it. Is there anything I need to consider regarding CA smog rules when I go to put the 5 speed in? I am not doing an engine swap just yet, just the transmission. I looked on IH8MUD and the CARB website but could not find anything regarding rules for switching out a transmission.

Thanks so much!

Cool, thanks so much. Just wanted to make sure I didn't need to do anything different during the swap to meet CA emissions specs. Thanks for the heads up!

What engine do you plan on mating to the 5 speed ?

I swapped a 5 speed for the stock 4 in my 1983 FJ60. It’s passed smog in Los Angeles county numerous times without a problem.

What engine do you plan on mating to the 5 speed ?
Just keeping the original 2F for now. The truck only has 104K miles on it. I'd like to do an LS3 down the road but right now just looking to upgrade the transmission to the H55f

There is an LS3 option for a manual transmission
That’s true if it came from passenger car. You would have to have a receipt that you purchased the engine and trans together. Ask @MANUCHAO. He installed a 5-speed then had to abandon it when he installed a Vortec. That was quite a few years ago. The situation has only got worse since. If you’re intent on doing this, be very very careful. Make sure you’ve lined up a Ref that has approved one like yours already.

That’s true if it came from passenger car. You would have to have a receipt that you purchased the engine and trans together. Ask @MANUCHAO. He installed a 5-speed then had to abandon it when he installed a Vortec. That was quite a few years ago. The situation has only got worse since. If you’re intent on doing this, be very very careful. Make sure you’ve lined up a Ref that has approved one like yours already.
The LS3 has a 5-speed option just requires a different transmission as I understand it. Its a crate pkg, brand new!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom