FJ60 5 Speed Upgrade, CA Emissions Rules (1 Viewer)

Hello everyone,

I am looking to do an H55f upgrade in my FJ60. The FJ came from CA and previously passed smog before I bought it. Is there anything I need to consider regarding CA smog rules when I go to put the 5 speed in? I am not doing an engine swap just yet, just the transmission. I looked on IH8MUD and the CARB website but could not find anything regarding rules for switching out a transmission.

Thanks so much!

Cool, thanks so much. Just wanted to make sure I didn't need to do anything different during the swap to meet CA emissions specs. Thanks for the heads up!

FJ60Seth

SILVER Star
I swapped a 5 speed for the stock 4 in my 1983 FJ60. It’s passed smog in Los Angeles county numerous times without a problem.

There is an LS3 option for a manual transmission
That’s true if it came from passenger car. You would have to have a receipt that you purchased the engine and trans together. Ask @MANUCHAO. He installed a 5-speed then had to abandon it when he installed a Vortec. That was quite a few years ago. The situation has only got worse since. If you’re intent on doing this, be very very careful. Make sure you’ve lined up a Ref that has approved one like yours already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom