Fj60 4.8 Repower Hydraulic Throwout Bearing Snafu. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
looking for input fellas:
Build specs are as follows:
4.8 Chevy LS motor
NFW 1040 Flywheel
LUK 04-048 Clutch
Speedway 91025610 "Stock GM Hydraulic Throwout Bearing"

Ranger Overdrive (Chevy to Toyota 4sp ) same spec as SM465 on the GM end.

Stock 4sp transmission.

During install, followed to intall directions on figuring spacing so I thought I was good to go. Fired up the truck and put it gear to check clutch engagement and nothing. Looked for airgap at front if bearing, and there was none. Pulled the motor away from trans and discovered the inner sleeve of the bearing was chewed to s***.
Thoughts and input much apreciated.

20200816_173222.jpg

20200816_173229.jpg

Screenshot_20200816-192234_Chrome.jpg

What clutch master cylinder? What year is your 4.8? I think of the early ones have weirdness when you try to put a manual flywheel on

im not familiar with those parts but it looks to me that the twosome has never actually been tested with your transmission. My verdict: wrong parts recommended by the vendor /manufacturer (ie - they don't fit)

I don't think the pressure plate fingers should be touching the axial face of the bearing. Maybe it's an alignment problem or parts mis match. Take some measurements of the parts to see if they match to the specifications.

Agreed. After looking at pictures of internal slave cylinder applications for 96-00 and 00-up I'm thinking yours is for classic SBC which has different pressure plate finger shape.

@FL cruiser can probably confirm for sure

The motor is a 99-03 based on the 24x reluctor, 862 heads and it was originally fitted to an auto trans, precise year unknown however. The master is the oruginal Toyota speced unit that I had been running in the truck. It has the recomended bore and stroke to feed the T/O bearing. My understanding about the flywheel conversions on theses motors is that the earlier 4.8' fitted with manuals had too ling of a crank that caused trouble with these swaps. This motor was mated to an auto originally.

Agreed. After looking at pictures of internal slave cylinder applications for 96-00 and 00-up I'm thinking yours is for classic SBC which has different pressure plate finger shape.

@FL cruiser can probably confirm for sure
Yes the clutch is intended for SBC.

Yes the clutch is intended for SBC.

Check out the throwout bearings for later applications, they don't have that inner sleeve protuding out.

Thanks for the info guys. I'm changing direction. This was a learning experience for sure and I'm ditching this style of T/O bearing for an external slave cylindef arrangement. These things are dumb. Haha

Thanks for the info guys. I'm changing direction. This was a learning experience for sure and I'm ditching this style of T/O bearing for an external slave cylindef arrangement. These things are dumb. Haha

I am actually about to be switching from external slave and clutch fork to an internal slave :lol:

Why are you tired of liking your truck?😁 Good luck with the swap.

My clutch/bellhousing situation is currently very hodge-podge and I am actually looking to simplify/clean it up by switching to all matching parts. probably to many peoples amazement

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom