FJ60 3FE engine swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I currently own a FJ62 w/186K miles that runs great but there was some rust repair/ minor accident repair to the body. I have an opportunity to buy a clean FJ60 with no rust for about $3500.00. It has a blown head gasket minimum. Now I'm thinkin' I could transfer all the good stuff from my 62 into this pristine body and frame (the interior is very clean also). Does the 3FE bolt right up to the 4 speed tranny? Does it make sense to do this? or would I end up with a frankenmobile that wouldn't have any resale should I decide to sell it down the road. Would the engine swap be a turn off to future buyers. I'm just considering all my options before I make any decisions.

Can't answer any questions about resale, I've never bought a Cruiser with that as a consideration, nor when I did the swap.

3FE into a FJ60 is a good swap, and it's 99% bolt-up. There are a couple of minor fab jobs to do, and there is plenty of information here. You're best bet would be to start by searching as this topic has been covered a good bit.

Thanks for the info. I'll do more searching. Don't get me wrong it's not a prime consideration but a consideration none the less. There may be a time when I want to upgrade or a lifestyle change dictates it. We all want to make sound investments rather than mistakes. I have owned and restored more than 40 vintage Chevy trucks. I love them as well but look at what some people do to them and say WTF! I just don't want to be the Toyota WTF guy. I hope you understand. I have options and am only looking for advise based on experience so I don't make a mistake.

Thanks for the info. I'll do more searching. Don't get me wrong it's not a prime consideration but a consideration none the less. There may be a time when I want to upgrade or a lifestyle change dictates it. We all want to make sound investments rather than mistakes. I have owned and restored more than 40 vintage Chevy trucks. I love them as well but look at what some people do to them and say WTF! I just don't want to be the Toyota WTF guy. I hope you understand. I have options and am only looking for advise based on experience so I don't make a mistake.

You're not going to be the WTF guy if you do the swap. You're UPGRADING a 60:cheers: and getting the best of 3 worlds:

1) Body/Interior in top condition (a BIG consideration for most of us as potential buyers)
2) Upgraded fuel injected engine.
3) Standard transmission (which a lot of people desire;) ).

Considering resale, if your body/interior are not all that great, how much you think it'll bring on the market?
If the other one has a blown engine, again, what is it worth?

Combine the 2 and you've got a winning, ALL TOYOTA combination:cheers:

Take care

It's not an easy job. You have to remove all the EFI stuff and install it in the 60. That alone is a PITA. You will also need to change your fuel lines to high pressured ones and will require an electric fuel pump. If you are willing to do all that then my suggestion to you is that you keep the 2f short block and replace the head with the 3fe one including all the EFI stuff.

Give this a read: http://www.steelnthings.com/TLCA/2Fswap/

Keep us posted.:beer:

For me to wrap my head completely around this I would want to know how bad the other engine is and exactly how strong the 'donor' engine is. You will make the 62 basically a vehicle to be parted out if it has no engine... is it worth that to you. How much is it gonna cost to get the 60 up and running?

Are you planning on building the 60 up to keep forever or are you just trying to make it as valuable as possible before reselling it?

The F3E has 186K but runs awesome. I'm looking to build a DD that will last for the next 10 years. I just want a body and frame worthy of future expenses that may occur. I don't want to regret spending money on repairs while the body deteriorates. Oh' did I mention I'm kinda anal (no not like that!) rust disturbs me. Every vintage Chevy I have ever bought has had the original paint. I made an exception with my 62 based on someone blowing smoke up my a$$. I must have let my guard down because I trusted them and fell for a line of s***! The ass bag has a another cruiser on Ebay right now. If I had the time I would take a trip to Tenn and :mad: . Ahhh well rant over. I'm trying to make the best of what I purchased. So rather than pass on another marginal cruiser I'll take my lumps and try to make the best of what it has to offer.

I have just fininshed this swap sp PM me if you are interested in more specific information about it.

I have seen Andrew's swap and it works well and runs clean. Take him up on his offer.

Thanks Andrew and cruiserdrew. I went with a plan "C" which makes the swap unnecessary. :cheers:

It's not an easy job. You have to remove all the EFI stuff and install it in the 60. That alone is a PITA. You will also need to change your fuel lines to high pressured ones and will require an electric fuel pump. If you are willing to do all that then my suggestion to you is that you keep the 2f short block and replace the head with the 3fe one including all the EFI stuff.

Give this a read: http://www.steelnthings.com/TLCA/2Fswap/

Keep us posted.:beer:

Swaping a 2F-E into a FJ62 is not hard at all, plus, I didn't put any text up there really since it is part of a Toyota Trails issue. If Todd gives me permission, I guess I could post it, I'll ask him.

Putting a 3F-E into a FJ60 will be fun. It will bolt up, then you get to do some serious wiring. But it's been done, and is very doable.

I may decide to do this as well, ...When the time comes.

I really like the idea of having fuel injection.

Maybe a 2F-E so i keep my block and the better torque.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom