FJ60 2F stumbles, high idle, rough and dies @ low rpm (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for taking the time to post back the fix.

Hooray! It's working !

I'm too happy and proud to feel stupid...

I've learned how to replace all vaccum lines (even the "hidden 4" on the backside). I can pull a carbuertor off, check the manifold, and put it all back together, - including all the throttle linkages. I can test vacuum switches and trace wiring.

Turns out the problem was due in part to a bad wire to the Fuel Cut Solenoid. It would connect sometimes (like when the car was at the mechanic), then not at other times (like when it was back home), - probably causing the bucking and surging. The wire finally broke at the connector, and that's when I could see it had been like that for a while.

Fixing the wire fixed the bucking and surging, but she still wouldn't idle. That's when I started the wild goose vacuum leak chase (but did find 2 suspect hoses).

Finally tried "hard-wiring" the fuel cut solenoid to the battery, - and she worked! Why did the FCS not work if the vacuum switch that controlled it working? Was it the ECC? Well... traced it back and found a blown fuse (the 10A engine fuse) that probably happened sometime after the bad FCS wiring broke apart. Replaced fuse and all is well : )

Next steps I'll learn how to fine tune the idle, then sneak down to the emissions test station and try to get my tags renewed.

Thanks for all the help and advice everyone posted!

Any chance you have a picture of the "hard-wiring" of the fuel cut solenoid to the battery? There's lots of talk of this fix, but I'm not seeing any pictures? Thanks.

Any chance you have a picture of the "hard-wiring" of the fuel cut solenoid to the battery? There's lots of talk of this fix, but I'm not seeing any pictures? Thanks.
Will add one next. My desktop and my pixs are not chatty when there are words already in the box.

Its not adding here. I can try to tag you to a pix on a thread where I posted it. Sorry.

and its not to the battery, its just to the carb body. And it is referred to as the green wire mod (tho you would not cut the green wire).

Last edited:
I'm not @Landpimp but this is what the hard wiring is. It's actually the white wire off the Solenoid that's grounded. It somehow got the green wire mod name a while ago.

IMG_0865.JPG

I am working a similar problem with engine quitting unless I use full choke. Have tracked it down to bad gasket on the secondary slow cut valve (#21346) gasket (part # 21346A). Now I'm looking for the parts to prove my theory. I have all the hose to replace the vacuum lines but really don't want to go there as I'm all thumbs.
Mellen, 1985 FJ60 Dallas

I am working a similar problem with engine quitting unless I use full choke. Have tracked it down to bad gasket on the secondary slow cut valve (#21346) gasket (part # 21346A). Now I'm looking for the parts to prove my theory. I have all the hose to replace the vacuum lines but really don't want to go there as I'm all thumbs.
Mellen, 1985 FJ60 Dallas

If I’m remembering right it’s a very simple figure 8. You could cut one from gasket paper that can be bought at an Ace Hardware.
Also where on it is it leaking? Some folks resort to drilling and tapping it since they are NLA and they can’t be fixed.

Last edited:
Hi all
Having same issue just started where my 84 fj 60 completely dies when I come to stop sign
Will restart when I pull choke out but dies at the next stop at low rpm
When I unplug the green connector for solenoid at carb and turn ignition on and off it sounds no different as when it’s plugged in
I’m assuming I should start with replacing this solenoid?
Was thinking I should here a sound if it was working properly?
There is a click when I turn ignition on but I’m assuming that’s the starter
Thanks I’m new to these engines just got it

Hi all
Having same issue just started where my 84 fj 60 completely dies when I come to stop sign
Will restart when I pull choke out but dies at the next stop at low rpm
When I unplug the green connector for solenoid at carb and turn ignition on and off it sounds no different as when it’s plugged in
I’m assuming I should start with replacing this solenoid?
Was thinking I should here a sound if it was working properly?
There is a click when I turn ignition on but I’m assuming that’s the starter
Thanks I’m new to these engines just got it
While truck is running try unplugging the solenoid. If truck dies then it’s working. What does the truck idle at?

While truck is running try unplugging the solenoid. If truck dies then it’s working. What does the truck idle at?
Just tried
No change in engine when I unplug the green connector
Idles less than 1000-around 750
Won’t stay running unless I have choke out
Assume I should replace this solenoid?

Just tried
No change in engine when I unplug the green connector
Idles less than 1000-around 750
Won’t stay running unless I have choke out
Assume I should replace this solenoid?
If it doesn’t stall out, yes. Many will say it’s better to get a functioning stock solenoid as the one from cruiser corps is Chinese made and doesn’t work all that great. But for $20 it’s worth a shot.

If it doesn’t stall out, yes. Many will say it’s better to get a functioning stock solenoid as the one from cruiser corps is Chinese made and doesn’t work all that great. But for $20 it’s worth a shot.
Great
Have one coming from vintageqparts more expensive but has oem plug
Fingers crossed man Thanks for help
I’m thinking this may be it since I saw absolutely no change when it was plugged or unplugged

well installed new fuel idle solenoid today (from cool cruisers of Texas), and it seemed to have fixed the issue with cutting off at idle
thanks alot nevergiveupyota-I can tell this forum has some great people and information
I ordered one from VintageTEqParts.com and never heard a word back after several emails
anyone have a contact for them or past experience?
hope I wasn't ripped off my $90!

well installed new fuel idle solenoid today (from cool cruisers of Texas), and it seemed to have fixed the issue with cutting off at idle
thanks alot nevergiveupyota-I can tell this forum has some great people and information
I ordered one from VintageTEqParts.com and never heard a word back after several emails
anyone have a contact for them or past experience?
hope I wasn't ripped off my $90!
$90 is a rip off. Another option is the CruiserYard here on mud for used parts. Just thought of them now. I’ve not bought from them but heard you can get lucky once in a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom