FJ60 1995 moderated oil leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

this short tech video peter , sorta best relates to your symptoms

my prescribed steps by steps are exactly how i smoke out pesky oil leaks like u have going on , i have a 100% Success arte using this T-TEN Methods i learned in tech training years ago

- oh i never wore UV rated safety glasses , but u should , i will now that i know ? :cool: :beer:

i hope you find it

matt

O I can ding oil leak in the Buick easily, hard to find where is not leaking :)

O I can ding oil leak in the Buick easily, hard to find where is not leaking :)

well

if u suspect a cracked valve cover or maybe a leaking oil rear head gasket or a rear main oil seal this WILL revile its source 100% SOLID for sure

pull off the flywheel splash pan cover too prior to the PURPLE POWER degrease procedure peter

To the OP, if you are lucky this will be the oil leak. Other possibilities are the rear main seal plus a plug that is on the upper right side of rear of the block. To properly diagnose either of these you will need to drop the transmission and pull the clutch and flywheel, this will give you access to the RMS. For the plug you'll have to also remove the bellhousing.
What is that hex plug for on the back of the block anyway? I don't think I've ever encountered info about that.

To OP @skhochay just to add one more possibility: the back lower corner of the side cover gasket can leak and guess what that's close to? the back of the block/bell housing and it can drip down into the flywheel inspection cover area. It does on mine. But also Toyota rear main seals have always leaked since the beginning of time. Every Toyota truck I've had... Tacoma, 4Runner, Land Cruiser ... it's that Toyota life.

What is that hex plug for on the back of the block anyway? I don't think I've ever encountered info about that.

To OP @skhochay just to add one more possibility: the back lower corner of the side cover gasket can leak and guess what that's close to? the back of the block/bell housing and it can drip down into the flywheel inspection cover area. It does on mine. But also Toyota rear main seals have always leaked since the beginning of time. Every Toyota truck I've had... Tacoma, 4Runner, Land Cruiser ... it's that Toyota life.
oil pan drain plug I suppose?

This thread explains 2F Cam plug Sanity check! - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/2f-cam-plug-sanity-check.643392/

First post has a photo of the rear of the block and the plug that can leak is in the upper left corner. It's a welch plug that has to be driven in properly or an oil leak my develop. An oil leak from here may mimic a RMS leak because the oil will seep down the back of the block and behind the flywheel. Only way to properly diagnose is to pull the transmission, clutch, flywheel, and bellhousing.

- excellent diagnoses peter , spot on ! :)

- yes you have a rear main oil seal leak .......... :confused:

- but , now u know and no more stressful speculation or wondering what if's scenarios etc...

- the hard part is over ,,,,,:rolleyes:

- make sure us apply a skim kote of black FIPG to the OUTER rear main oil seal rim / lip

- this aids in install and makes dam sure the OD portion don't ever seep either

- apply full synthetic grease to both new seal; lip and the OD of the rear crank sealing surface , the simply assures NO friction rob issues again , and NO leaks either

i hope this sets you up for success ?

kindly matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom