FJ55, what is necessary to out-preform an 80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking at getting an FJ55, I've always loved the looks and they seem like even more of a tank than the 80. Just curious aboat what all would need to be done to have one out-preform a well equipped 80 (4" and 35's, rear locker)? Just trying to figure in my head the cost of the project...

I would say the 80 has the 55 beat at ease of use for one, FI, Coil's. Dont get me wrong I would LOVE to have a 55, Just trying to help, I also just noticed you have a FJ80, My BS was dirrected more to the FZJ80.
Im sure it wouldnt take too much to do anything a 80 could do.
Good luck

alkaline747trio said:
Looking at getting an FJ55, I've always loved the looks and they seem like even more of a tank than the 80. Just curious aboat what all would need to be done to have one out-preform a well equipped 80 (4" and 35's, rear locker)? Just trying to figure in my head the cost of the project...
Howdy! I run with a lot of 80's and a tricked out 100 series. I have been working on my Piggy for 18 years. So far, it is spring over, shackel reversal, cut and turn the front axle, dual shocks, LockRights x 2, 350 Chevy, Ranger underdrive, Saginaw power steering, custom CV driveshafts front and rear, mini truck Birfs, monster traction bar, custom bumper and roof rack, York on board air, 35 x 13.5 BFG Krawlers, and I am probably forgetting a few other goodies. I have 12 " of travel on the rears, and 15" on the front, which lets me run faster than the 80's a lot of the time. I am clutched and carbed, so I can't crawl as slow as they can, but my next project is a Marlin Crawler Box, with the 4.7 gears, so I will have 9.4 in transfer cases to make it go waaaay too slow. That means extreme rock crawling. I figure it will be another 18 years before I run out of projects for this rig!! John

i am building a 55 to replace my 80 as my trail truck. In order for me to not just grab the incredibly capapble 80 when the wheeling opportunity presents itself, the 55 has to be better at everything than the 80. The only thing it has going for it out of the box is that the 55 is narrower and I don't care about body damage. i hope this list will allow it to perform at 80 levels driving to the trail head and wheeling AND making it home every time.

Chevy Small block - not as reliable as the 1FZ-FE, but similar HP and easier to get parts for in the boonies.

Th400 - strong and almost as reliable as a A440, but without an OD. A 700R4 properly built would be better.

Fuel Injection

I have hopes for the SOA, but I will go coils if I can't make the SOA work as well as an 80. I really like the body stability of an 80 when the axles are all twisted up. It needs good highway manners as well.

Power steering and 4 wheel disk brakes

A/C and good heat. Fun doesn't have to mean uncomfortable.

Comfy seats that I can drive 3 hours so I can sit in them for a long day just to drive back at night.

Reasonably good tunes to drown out the tire hum during the above 3 hour drives.

All the other stuff that just works without comprimise. Windsheild wipers, rear hatch, defrost, etc.

Multiple hold down points in the back. an underappreciated bonus of the 80 series.

I think that's about it. I'll bet I can modify that list a little when I get the 55 out on the trail a couple of times.

cool chicks will go for a guy in a 55. prissy bitches will go for the 80....that ups performance right there. that said, swap the 80 drivetrain into the piggie and drive over the expedition looking carcass you leave in the driveway.

who says a 80 outperforms a 55?? creature comforts in the 80 abound but thats got nuttin ta do wit wheelin cabability. if you install lift tires and lockers you have what 99% of the 80's out there have.

nuclearlemon said:
cool chicks will go for a guy in a 55. prissy bitches will go for the 80....that ups performance right there. that said, swap the 80 drivetrain into the piggie and drive over the expedition looking carcass you leave in the driveway.

That awesome Ige!

On the looks of the pig statement the pig has the best looks of any cruiser b/c it is the most unique you can't mistake it for a heep. :flipoff2:

As for equipping it better than an 80 I think you would either need to swap in some kind of coil suspension or basically copy inkpot all the things hes done are things that a lot of us 55 guys have done or have planned.

If you are talking about combined on road/ off road performance and drivability, the 80 would be pretty hard to beat. Toyota did lots of homework in the 1980's.

Ahh...80 vs 55....

hmmm...I agree with what a lot of people are saying on here. Offroad I don't think there is a TON that you need to do.

A nice SOA will keep up with the 80 series flex wise....as there is a lot of debate on the flex of an 80...blah blah blah different front links/bushings/whatever. if you wanted to outflex an 80...go 4 Link rear coils/elliptic/etc and you will have more flex than it.

HP is a different story...if you want to cruise with the same power as the 80 you are either going to have to put in a FI 350 or V8 of somesort...but if you are happy being a little slower, that TBI that 2F if you are really worried about angles/altitude...or Mace it and turbo that biyotch...

Gearing...is all personal preference...if you love autos then get one...but I'm throwing in a H41/split case should help a bit offroad. I've got 4.11's for highway still, if you need to go lower...you are looking at an Orion/toybox setup which will put you ahead of the 80 series.

4 wheel discs will help a ton for stopping larger tires, dual lockers...ARB's or OEM toyota if you are wanting selectability. Power steering is a huge plus and needed.

Toyota did do their homework for the 80 series...nicely setup...but $$$ money to fix body damage...and have you priced out bumpers or armour if you don't make your own...HOLY CRAP...

This can all be done fairly cheaply or expensive....depending on what you want.

Gumby said:
Sez someone without an 80. :D
Exactly. You can spend lots of money and have it perform "as-well" on road or off ... but I don't think you'll be able to match both. The mods you'd need for off road flex (F/R 4-link) would kill your road manners ... and leaf springs just don’t flex like coils (even SOA). I love my pig and all, but don't even entertain the thought it would ever out perform my 80.

My $.02 ...

Tucker

Gumby said:
Sez someone without an 80. :D

i've driven an 80 a couple times on and off road, outside of creature comforts i wasnt blown away or even impressed really with its performance over my pig.
i definitely appreciate the quiter ride, and hiway comfort and bigger cab. i'd be real happy taking a road trip in an 80 but off road,, ehh. it did everything i wanted it to do but so does my pig.

now we can talk about the level of build all day here, i am reffering to the "usual" 80, lift, tires ect. not trying to compare with a jointed freaked out 80 like some of you have, cause, lets all be honest, if your going to do that to an 80 you can do it to a 55, and you basically have what the tube buggy guys get and that all hinges on the ability of the builder not the model of vehicle. i mean thats like comparing a 40 buggy to a heep buggy and theyre pretty much the same behind the grill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom