FJ55 Tailgate to Barn door Conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1974 FJ55 and am looking to covert from the power rear window tailgate to the bar door style of later models. Has anyone see this conversion before? Any tips or ides would be great.

03B17AB0-D9AB-442E-8431-A633A8784580.png

Thing the biggest challenge is going to be source the door and back of the FJ55 that used ambulance doors. Some details in the door frame like hinges and latches would be hard to do from scratch if you do do not know how Toyota did from the factory. Toyota only goes back to 3/69 in their parts system. I find ambulance door used from 3/69 on. My guess from the start of the FJ55 in 67 these were used since the FJ45LV had them in other markets. I had an opportunity to get ambulance doors off 60 if I paid shipping from Australia. My FJ62 is too nice to be cutting up to change doors.

Thing the biggest challenge is going to be source the door and back of the FJ55 that used ambulance doors. Some details in the door frame like hinges and latches would be hard to do from scratch if you do do not know how Toyota did from the factory. Toyota only goes back to 3/69 in their parts system. I find ambulance door used from 3/69 on. My guess from the start of the FJ55 in 67 these were used since the FJ45LV had them in other markets. I had an opportunity to get ambulance doors off 60 if I paid shipping from Australia. My FJ62 is too nice to be cutting up to change doors.
I’m sure It wouldn’t be as easy a direct fit with modifications made for hinges and latch points. It would be nice to have some actual door and opening measurements from an equipped vehicle to see if it would even be worth the hassle.

Gotcha…well I need to source a parts car that has been pretty much gutted except for the rear and those doors….time to get to work!

Gotcha…well I need to source a parts car that has been pretty much gutted except for the rear and those doors….time to get to work!

These were never imported to the US, a few imported FJ55s second hand from other markets floating around. Good luck finding one being parted here. Only doors I would even attempt would be off a FJ55. Just the doors you have nothing to use as a guide. Add in the last FJ55 was made forty two years ago.

I saw them in Kenya in 1975 on raised roof "FJ55's" used by the police. I think they are called FJ56's.
B791BF3C-8218-4F4D-9F2C-9552456D6716_4_5005_c.jpeg

I’m not a fan of this electric rear window. I mean I get it was ahead of its time, but really a pain when they get to be this age.

My parents had early sixties station wagons with electric roll down windows. Wasn't really ahead of it's as was Toyota's next step towards a luxury four door SUV. The FJ45LV door panels in the sixties and fancier head liner than the FJ40. Toyota offered four door SUV with ambulance doors from the sixties on. Just never in the US market. Closest is the Lexus GX with a single door.

Yeah that’s what I need….I’m not a fan of this electric rear window. I mean I get it was ahead of its time, but really a pain when they get to be this age.
I love the electrical rear window. When it works.
It was Toyota's first i think. They got better at it.

In Europe FJ55 are very very rare and only a few countries got them... But they are all with ambulance doors... Not sure why as it's classified as a passenger vehicle and not an utility vehicle like the 40s.
I'm drooling for one with the tailgate here in Europe. For sure ambulance doors are more practical but the tailgate is so emblematic of this model x)

1647906311345.png

1647906330820.png

1647906354402.png

(this one is located in Belgium ② Toyota Land cruiser FJ55 3.9i — Toyota — 2ememain - https://www.2ememain.be/v/autos/toyota/m1808690960-toyota-land-cruiser-fj55-3-9i)

I love the electrical rear window. When it works.
It was Toyota's first i think. They got better at it.
Hahaha…I’m glad they got better at it. Wish they had perfected it on the ‘74. I’m sure I will like it also when I get it running as it should. I will say I just hopped on this forum yesterday and I am extremely excited about the support I have received already. This is what a forum should be…thanks for the kind advice and help so far.

In Europe FJ55 are very very rare and only a few countries got them... But they are all with ambulance doors... Not sure why as it's classified as a passenger vehicle and not an utility vehicle like the 40s.
I'm drooling for one with the tailgate here in Europe. For sure ambulance doors are more practical but the tailgate is so emblematic of this model x)

View attachment 2959198
View attachment 2959199
View attachment 2959200
(this one is located in Belgium ② Toyota Land cruiser FJ55 3.9i — Toyota — 2ememain - https://www.2ememain.be/v/autos/toyota/m1808690960-toyota-land-cruiser-fj55-3-9i)
My first thought on this is from the rear it looks like a van….

My first thought on this is from the rear it looks like a van….
I agree! Really make it looks like a utility van instead of a Station Wagon :/

I agree! Really make it looks like a utility van instead of a Station Wagon :/
But….they don’t have an issue with a faulty gear or window motor….thanks for the post…looks like an awesome rig!

But….they don’t have an issue with a faulty gear or window motor….thanks for the post…looks like an awesome rig!
True. Probably a lot easier to source a donor, import/transport donor, cut the tails off two Pigs and weld one in and make it work than to source a gear...

They all have ambulance doors, to my knowledge, in the middle east. IMHO you are taking a relatively small problem and trying to solve it with an extremely large project. I get it if you really want barn doors but totally not worth the time, money, and effort to "fix" your rear window problem if that is the only reason you want to change to doors.

Just FYI, there is a 55 section of the Forum (all the way at the bottom of the forum list).

And welcome!

At least in the 80 series there is some reinforcing of the D pillars to lend support to the hinges in the barn door configuration. I looked to me to be a thick metal backing that is curved to match the interior of the D pillar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom