FJ55 Sliders (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys. I have been searching the threads all night for a close up view of how to install sliders. I know I have seen this on mutiple threads but now that I am making some I can't seem to find them. Any help would be great. Thanks

Carmon

chop out your rockers, remake them with rectangular stock and tie them into the frame. you now have high clearance sliders and you've eliminated the rusty rockers;)

Would the common practice be to let the rock slider float where the rocker used to be, or to weld the slider into the body where the rocker used to be. And if the latter, then do I also just weld the slider to the frame, or bolt it using bushings?

So lil John, are you saying the sliders are fully welded along the whole rocker piece? That is my main concern. Does that look good? I tig weld and would be able to put a full weld along the whole thing but that would be alot of welding and I am not sure if it needs that much strength. Any pics of the install so I can see how much I should cut off? Thanks guys

I cut out my rusted rockers, welded up the front seam along door jambs, and the back seam was welded and then trimmed flush. I'll be mounting to the frame with bushings once the body is put back on. Looks good and really solid. Good luck.:grinpimp:
rocker cut out for sliders drivers side 2009.JPG
slider clamped in position 2 pass side 2009.JPG
Slider pass side bottom view.JPG

did mine the same way. I ended up landing on it hard over the years of wheeling. Don't tie it to the frame, just weld it along the body...

That is great guys. This is exactly what i was looking for.

Did you all do the same for the rear rockers? I have been trying to find my best angle on those and wondering if it would be better to tie them into my rear bumper. Any opinions on those? I am assuming you all did those as well. I just smashed in my drivers side panel this weekend.

I tied mine directly to the frame, mainly because I needed to tie the inner cage to the outriggers. I used 1 X 3 X 3/16" wall & left about 1/2" from the top of the existing rocker area to weld to. And yes, I'd definitely tie the rear bumper to some sliders behind the rear wheelwell.
DSC00968.JPG

Last edited:
hmm.. That is a different idea there Lil John. I wonder what that looks like from a side profile. It definitely would limit the amount of snag that my truck has right now.

Yeah as goes the bulky rear bumper thing, I agree. I tacked some metal in tonight to get an idea and I don't like the way it looks tied in to the rear bumper.

mine are also welded right to the body with no frame tie in,,,, even when being silly like this the doors open and close just fine
100_0026.jpg

Nice Rig!!!
Cool bumper. How'd you get off that rock?

i know this is a old thread but does anyone know what size rectangular tubing was used on the sliders

I used 4x4 I think. You could also used 4x3 or 4x2, it all depends on the size of the tube coming out of the rocker that creates the step.

thanks that looks good i was thinking it would stick out to far but it looks good and gives a little more protection those are good pictures gives ne a good idea.

I have 4x4 tubing that is welded in to where the old rocker was. I am not doing this again because if you do happen To choose that inadvisable line you will have issues with your body.
Why not have somwthing that can be mashed and then replaced without doing anything to the cab?
Mine has dents (bashes) and now is deformed and there is nothing I can do about it without major work. If you have spent so much time on those rockers I know you don’t wanna go back and do them again. Unless you’re Jmack and then it is about an hours worth of work- no big deal.

The 4x4 always seemed way overkill. 2x4x1/8” would be plenty unless you plan on pivoting your rig on rocks against the rockers, then you might want to step up to 1/4”. The heavier the material the more weight it is pulling against the lower door jams and spotwelds and floorpans. One of the reasons I just capped my rockers short with 14ga sheetmetal and will be running frame mounted rockers.
If you do intend on welding tubing in place of the rockers, I’d recommend leaving as much of the inner side of the OEM rocker in place to give you a second angle and anchor point to weld the tubing to for strength and squareness.

I have 4x4 tubing that is welded in to where the old rocker was. I am not doing this again because if you do happen To choose that inadvisable line you will have issues with your body.
Why not have somwthing that can be mashed and then replaced without doing anything to the cab?
Mine has dents (bashes) and now is deformed and there is nothing I can do about it without major work. If you have spent so much time on those rockers I know you don’t wanna go back and do them again. Unless you’re Jmack and then it is about an hours worth of work- no big deal.
Says the one that ummm, mmmmm, twisted there driveshaft in half 🙄 😉😉😉😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom