Wanted FJ55 Rear Wheel Cylinder Rebuild (15/16" size) - Spring Seat Needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello fellow Mudders,

I have an 8/1971 FJ55 with what appears to be the original TEQ wheel cylinders, 15/16" size. They were leaking so I purchased the standard rebuild kit which only comes with rubber boots, no springs or spring seats. Toyota looks to have sold a spring rebuild kit many moons ago, cannot find one available online.

My rear wheel cylinders have a mix of metal and plastic spring seats, assumption is the metallic are original and plastic spring seats are from a rebuild kit. The metallic spring seats are fine but one of the plastic spring seats (passenger side rear front AKA right rear front) has disintegrated. I attempted to order a completely new wheel cylinder (not TEQ but a Japanese replacement) from a reputable online resource, however the box was mislabeled and I received a right rear rear wheel cylinder (RRR) vs. a right rear front (RRF). I'm working with the company to return and obtain the proper part but we will see what happens.

Does anyone have a spare either metallic (preferred) or plastic spring seat? I have an FJ40 as well and didn't know if the years were compatible for the spring seats on the rear wheel cylinders.

Here's a pic of the wheel cylinder I'm trying to rebuild. Thanks fellas.

-Mike

1591962041072.png

1591962257307.png

1591962009712.png

Hey guys,

In hindsight, maybe I should have asked more generically about wheel cylinders. For those who have converted over to disc brakes, does anyone have an old 15/16" wheel cylinder laying around? Based on the FJ40/55 FSM, it looks like the FJ55 was the only vehicle with this size wheel cylinders; someone correct me if I'm wrong. Also, I'm really curious if the FJ40 rear wheel cylinder spring seats for the same year are the same size. The pistons are different, but maybe the rear wheel cylinder spring seats are the same.

Anyway, if anyone has an old FJ55 rear wheel cylinder laying around from a conversion, I'm all ears. Maybe I can harvest the spring seats from it.

Thanks,

-Mike

Thanks abqcruiser for the reply!

I have all new front cylinders from Cruiser Outfitters, guys were great! I also bought the rebuild kits with the new rubber cups for the rears as I haven't been successful in sourcing all new rear cylinders. Once the rears were dissembled, I discovered one of the spring seats on one of the rear cylinders had broken into pieces. I called Cruiser Outiftters as well as SOR and they didn't have any of the spring seats. The only thing similar I could find are these at Cruiser Parts but I don't know if they are the correct size spring seat. I had considered using the old seats from my front cylinders but they are larger and definitely will not work.

I thought I would take a stab at Mud to see if anyone had something.

Have you thought about buying re-manufactured cylinders?

Theirs say it's good for years 71-80. I might still have some old ones lying around somewhere, but mine is a 77. If you can, measure the length and diameter of one of your springs. I'll try and dig out one of my old cylinders and measure the springs as well. They may cross over and be the same size.

Try these guys too. They sell them individually.

abqcruiser and grayjs, thank for the help! Hopefully one of these routes will work, appreciate it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom