FJ55 Rear Axle Questions... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi peeps,

I've got a hilux with an fj55 rear diff under it.

I want to convert it back to drums. (Current disc conversion is not legal)

55 parts are quite hard to source, are 40 series drum brake parts the same?

May other option is to swap the whole axle.. would a 60 series bolt up fairly easily, considering there is already a 55 under it?, or is there considerable difference in the two axles & pumpkin size?

Thanks!
Simone

60 axles are 3" wider than 40, 45 or 55 axles.

Last edited:
No. 55 brake cylinders are bigger than 40.

Thanks for that...

Pighead..does that render the entire drum itself different then too? or does it just have bigger cylinders inside the same drum?

They have used hilux front discs and calipers (welded caliper bracket to axle), with a hydraulic handbrake. Can't get it registere in Aus like that. Looks like i would have to pull the entire axle shaft out to replace the disc if i needed to. Bit of a weird conversion.

What year is the FJ55 axle? If you had the backing plates and matching brake components from an FJ40 assuming its a 6 bolt backing plates, it would be a direct bolt on. Might be the easiest options.

Thanks cruiser, Not sure what year the axle is unfortunately, anyway way to tell easy? ..I've sourced an entire rear axle from an fj40 for 50 bucks, so im going to go pick it up and hope i get lucky. Not much loss for 50 bucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom