For Sale FJ55 parts from TLC4x4 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

WarDamnEagle

SILVER Star
Threads
FYI. Jonathan Ward is liquidating some parts on eBay and Craigslist. Couple of examples:

I bought the tailgate handle but if there is something specific you need you might email or call them.

You bought the tailgate handle? I thought I bought the tailgate handle.

I've sent email to Jonathan Ward.

Last edited:
You bought the tailgate handle? I thought I bought the tailgate handle.

I've sent email to Jonathan Ward.

I think you bought it. After I posted that he came back and said it was sold. He had two listed and I wound up buying the other one.

Mine arrived.

82D4B72F-4AE8-4DA9-B9F9-4F80823F2383.jpeg

I'm happy to hear your thoughts.

honestly, I leave for vacation tomorrow. back next week. I was going to take the part over to the machine shop we used for all the mold making (smallworks.com) and ask them what their approach would be. They do a lot of EDM, but more traditional tooling is certainly within their grasp.

I expect to be asked about anticipated volumes, because that tends to drive the solution space as well. "less than 100" is my best guess, which is why I intend to run these on the mill in back, rather than have them made somewhere. The mill is *almost* hooked up. I need to finish the airlines in that part of the warehouse/shop.

in terms of the rest of what I have to work with..

I've got an in-house industrial designer who has excellent CAD skills. We did the iPhone cases together.
If needed, I have a MSME starting in early February. They're both "car guys", too.

My best guess on the gasket is to cut it in-house on the 60W laser etcher. If that works, maybe I figure out a pattern on the others (door handles, etc.) The laser makes super-clean cuts if you can keep it moving fast enough to not ignite the material. I could probably figure out how to make a die if that doesn't work.

Need a lathe someday. and a bigger welder. and a TIG setup. and a lift.

IMG_2175.jpeg
IMG_2176.jpeg

IMG_2177.jpeg

Last edited:
Need a lathe someday. and a bigger welder. and a TIG setup. and a lift.
Such a universal gear head statement.

I’m looking fw to seeing what all this new tech can do, lasers - CNC - sharks....wow

Such a universal gear head statement.

I’m looking fw to seeing what all this new tech can do, lasers - CNC - sharks....wow

Did you say sharks?

How about the metal 3D printing ? Yes, the company is Mark Forge.the metal particles are encapsulated in polymer and which is what is initally melted together. Then the part is put in a furnace and the metal is sintered. They are doing stainless, and even inconel. Cool stuff.

Got any Ben and Jerry’s in that ice cream cooler?

Slightly distracted with making reproduction snake blinders for the 60-series right now. People seem to be willing to pay $500 for a pair of these in decent shape on fleabay. OEM is chromed stainless, but we’ll probably electro polish a better grade of stainless and get a better result. Would CNC/anodize the ends in aluminum, source appropriate clips, and need a hard tool to get consistent results on the sheet metal bends.

But, this is the pig channel. So, ... while visiting the machine shop, we also looked at the 55 handle. Closer inspection shows visible stress risers in the casting. Semi-obvious why they break now. Some thoughts on a rubber “bumper” for option ‘2’ below to reduce the ringing when the handle is allowed to slam closed.

Current though is to make the handle in two versions:
  1. Cold steel, that can be powdered, chromed or nickel plated. The plated versions will want more surfacing than a powder coated version. Chromed would be as close as I want to get to a pure “reproduction” part.
  2. Stainless, likely polished, but other options are possible. Could offer customized (“FJ55”) text in the face of the handle.
Very likely just laser-cut the gasket.

I've done several $million with this shop (Integrated Metal Products, Inc. ~ Custom Precision Sheet Metal Manufacturing) over the last 15 years. They're mostly sheetmetal (thus the focus on the snake blinders), but they do have the CNC skills. This is also where I'd manufacture rockers/floor pans/... if @bobm ever stops making them, but again, I'm not going to start unless Bob declares he's stopped.

Last edited:
Bob... I hope you live a long, happy and healthy life and keep making whatever you want as long as you desire.

I’m not ever going to try to be your competition in this.

Maybe we should get on the phone.

Slightly distracted with making reproduction snake blinders for the 60-series right now. People seem to be willing to pay $500 for a pair of these in decent shape on fleabay. OEM is chromed stainless, but we’ll probably electro polish a better grade of stainless and get a better result. Would CNC/anodize the ends in aluminum, source appropriate clips, and need a hard tool to get consistent results on the sheet metal bends.

But, this is the pig channel. So, ... while visiting the machine shop, we also looked at the 55 handle. Closer inspection shows visible stress risers in the casting. Semi-obvious why they break now. Some thoughts on a rubber “bumper” for option ‘2’ below to reduce the ringing when the handle is allowed to slam closed.

Current though is to make the handle in two versions:
  1. Cold steel, that can be powdered, chromed or nickel plated. The plated versions will want more surfacing than a powder coated version. Chromed would be as close as I want to get to a pure “reproduction” part.
  2. Stainless, likely polished, but other options are possible. Could offer customized (“FJ55”) text in the face of the handle.
Very likely just laser-cut the gasket.

I've done several $million with this shop (Integrated Metal Products, Inc. ~ Custom Precision Sheet Metal Manufacturing) over the last 15 years. They're mostly sheetmetal (thus the focus on the snake blinders), but they do have the CNC skills. This is also where I'd manufacture rockers/floor pans/... if @bobm ever stops making them, but again, I'm not going to start unless Bob declares he's stopped.
I don’t remember how much we got to talk, but the design file (I think) I sent you had some optimization tweaks to it to get rid of some of those classic stress crack locations.
Let me know if you want to talk again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom