Fj55 overhead console (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well I finally got around to doing it, there was only one example of this procedure I could find and it was not super detailed on the wiring and thats what I want to have working

What I did was I took a overhead console from 1999 Suburban with the trip computer. I wanted one with the temp gauge with the compass built in. The goal is a snazzy setup with the compass and the temp gauge working like a new car.
just need to get the sensors from the local U-Pull-It.

Required material's
4 bolts 5mm x 1 1/2 inch
12 matching nuts
4 1 inch fender washers
2 sheets of 8inch wide, 18inch long
Overhead console
Mischelanious wiring and switches

Optional
Sensors for the trip computer

I started by removing the dome light and the rearview mirror.
1216181132a.jpg
Each was taken off. I then took each pice of steel, I measured 3 inches past the dome light mounts, marking the steel. I did this so I would have the space for the rear most mounting bolts. Drilled and test fit then moved onto the front sheet.
The front was measured a half an inch past the mirror mounts. since the front mount will temporarily be the center most screw hole of the rearview mirror mount. Drilled and set up. I found a 20 degree bend followed the roof line nicely.
My dumb self forgot to center the plates up before drilling and mounting. so I ended up with straight holes and a squared up plate, just offset on the rear by about an inch.

When removing the dome light make sure to pull the power wire for the dome light out also its a floating ground so dealers choice on grounding.
After drilling the mounting holes I then mock them up on the roof after taking a few measurements I test fit everything and marked the steel for the centermost mounts. These mounts are 2 of the 4 bolts. Drilling and bolting the plates together. I wanted the mounts in the garage door opener cubby. I forgot the exact measure ment but its around 10 inches. The holels are drilled and the plates are bolted together.
1216181132_HDR.jpg
double nutted instead of a nylock nuts, since the bolts are so long.
I drilled the rearmost mounts, the other 2 bolts, in the rear dome light area. Why waste cargo space right?
1216181155a.jpg
final mounting points where set or so I thought(more later)
the assembly was a snap all I had to do was Bolt the two chunks of Steel together for the final time and snug em down.
So I only had to drill the console 1 time, I used an old trick
this was dabbing a little bit of Grease on the end of each of the bolts. I held the overhead console up gently tapping it against the bolts this transferred the grease to the aera i needed to drill. i had my holes drilled. The most dificult part of the whole job was getting the overhead door opener hatch off without breaking it. I'd never taken it out just took some finnaggling.
1216181155.jpg

The console needed trimming so I took around an inch off the front to clear the rearview mirror. I used the front bolt hole on the console to hold the front of the setup.
1216181155d.jpg

The front Will need to be taken off and 2 more bolts added at the top corners but I'll save that for another day

Last edited:
I’m sorry, but I really can’t figure out what you’re describing.

Do you have better pictures?

Maybe it’s just that I’ve never seen the inside of a 55...

And now the wiring, I have the pinout somewhere for the consoles trip computer. However I am just going to tackle the lights.
1216181243b.jpg

Seperating the wiring is pretty simple. Green and purple are the computer, orange white and black are the lights
1216181041.jpg

I tied the grounds together and snuck a ushaped conector under the bolt holding the console up.
1216181243c.jpg

The nice thing is the wire for the dome lights already been run there is a nice 12 volt positive right there.
Trace it to just under the dash this is where I am going to splice in my switch.
1216181256a.jpg

Test your grounds and your positive. I did this with a simple jumper wire

I’m sorry, but I really can’t figure out what you’re describing.

Do you have better pictures?

Maybe it’s just that I’ve never seen the inside of a 55...

All i am dping is adding a overhead console to the roof. By removing the dome light and the rearview mirror you can attach a strip of metal between the mounts. Then using a few bolts bolt a overhead console to it. I will take more photos when I take it all back apart over the next few days

And now the wiring, I have the pinout somewhere for the consoles trip computer. However I am just going to tackle the lights.
View attachment 1856138
Seperating the wiring is pretty simple. Green and purple are the computer, orange white and black are the lights
View attachment 1856139
I tied the grounds together and snuck a ushaped conector under the bolt holding the console up.
View attachment 1856137
The nice thing is the wire for the dome lights already been run there is a nice 12 volt positive right there.
Trace it to just under the dash this is where I am going to splice in my switch.
View attachment 1856134
Test your grounds and your positive. I did this with a simple jumper wire

Man that is a really nice project you got going on. If I had a 55 that would definitely be on my list of projects to do.

Thanks everyone, so far the free99 fj55 has been a trip. Had title problems, still have the most helacious noises from the trans. Not even working on the rest of the electrical or rust.

But its the small little projects that i can scratch off the list like this one. Hopefully it can help someone else do a cool project too

And one glaring defect i ran into is i now need to trim the sides of the console to clear the sun visors..........

Thanks everyone, so far the free99 fj55 has been a trip. Had title problems, still have the most helacious noises from the trans. Not even working on the rest of the electrical or rust.

But its the small little projects that i can scratch off the list like this one. Hopefully it can help someone else do a cool project too

And one glaring defect i ran into is i now need to trim the sides of the console to clear the sun visors..........

Well if it’s a stock 69 then that’s a great reason to pull the 3 speed. Toss it down in a hole and throw rocks after it....

Well if it’s a stock 69 then that’s a great reason to pull the 3 speed. Toss it down in a hole and throw rocks after it....
Well its about as far from stock as you can get. But for a free truck(i made a thread awhile back about it) I really can't complain
0825181430.jpg

More chevota than anything, it does need a new sm465 manual and that is proving to be rather hard to find in central oregon. i am about to throw my spare turbo 400 up and either see if i can get a trade out of it or sell it for more funds

Holy crap. I hope the first thing you did was lower it
For the moment I just run it as it is, someone put alot of effort and money into it so I enjoy is bombing over roundabouts and just general tomfoolery on the trails nothing major. The spring mounts are outboarded so I have been throwing around the idea of finding some stock chevy springs and seeing what she looks like.

However, it has
a built 400 horse engine, lots of work done there
1 ton axles and crossover steering
Chevy trans with the parts for a doubles
And 5.37s

Now the plan is too toss the Dana 70 in the rear and go with my 14bolt full floating axle with disc brakes already and rebuild the front. May have to re gear but I hope the doubler will fix any gearing issues. It was built for mudding but i just like going fast

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom