FJ55 Oil Pan Gasket Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone. I’m going to attempt my first oil pan gasket replacement this weekend. I have never done one so any advice or tips would be appreciated. i have watched a few videos and it seems to be straight forward: drain oil, replace oil filter, remove pan, clean old gasket from block and pan, I plan to clean and repaint pan at this time also, replace gasket, torque bolts in cross pattern to factory specs….

Do I need to go ahead and replace the oil pump? I believe their is an in pan one correct?
Do need to apply a special sealer to the gasket prior to reinstalling the pan?
Are there any other gaskets that should be or would be easier to replace with the oil pan off if I am already under there?

See post#5 in the FAQ thread stickied at the top of this tech section.

Make your way down to the 55 section. The sty will welcome you.

i have watched a few videos and it seems to be straight forward
If you've seen the videos you hardly need our help.
1) why are you dropping the pan?
B) it is fairly straight forward. Until the pan won't come off, but there is a fix for that.
III) you probably don't need to replace the oil pump. Unless you're having oil pressure issues. How is your oil pressure? And there is that pump gear you can flip to get another 20 years out of it.
Some people use sealant, some don't. There are two dozen different ways of lining up the gasket holes with the pan holes when bolting the pan back on. Read up on them and pick your favorite.

If you've seen the videos you hardly need our help.
1) why are you dropping the pan?
B) it is fairly straight forward. Until the pan won't come off, but there is a fix for that.
III) you probably don't need to replace the oil pump. Unless you're having oil pressure issues. How is your oil pressure? And there is that pump gear you can flip to get another 20 years out of it.
Some people use sealant, some don't. There are two dozen different ways of lining up the gasket holes with the pan holes when bolting the pan back on. Read up on them and pick your favorite.
Thanks for the advice…dropping the pan because their is an oil leak. I want to slowly work through all the undercarriage gaskets to shore everything up. It seems pretty straight forward for the most part, but just don’t want to miss anything. I have the shop manual and will of course reference that. The original gasket is a dry gasket so I will probably just stick with that.
Can you provide more details on the pump gear?

Can you provide more details on the pump gear?
Maybe, can you provide more details on your engine?
A '74 could have an F or a Late F. Different oil pumps.

Maybe, can you provide more details on your engine?
A '74 could have an F or a Late F. Different oil pumps.
11/1974

F9A166F7-758F-4D2D-B737-B15366CF0E73.jpeg

C7E48097-BCEE-4C2E-B0F4-1B3C6B34A45E.jpeg

That's a Late F.
You got 2 gears inside your oil pump. 1 is driven by the dizzy shaft, other is driven by the 1st gear.
Put your feeler gauge between the 2 gears, compare with FSM spec. If the gap is too great, flip that second gear over, you get some unused surface to wear.

Be sure and get a "one piece" gasket. Some are four pieces and I have not heard good things about them.

Pretty common to go ahead and put a new oil pan on when you're doing this. The thread in the FAQ is solid, especially the thread trick of keeping the new gasket stuck to the pan while you line it up.

Also considering replacing four of the bolts with studs/nuts to help you align it.

Yep, get a one piece gasket & pay close attention to properly securing it at both ends.

D02169C4-7036-4E48-B424-812EED9A3DAB.png

57AA6007-3293-49CE-947E-F1234AE0AA93.png

76AEF0D2-8B70-4CFD-9426-2447DD7EC62D.png

Virtually everyone says one piece...makes perfect sense. Did you use sealant all the way around the gasket or did you just use it at the curved end pieces?

I followed @Poser s advice & only used sealant on the curved ends & only on one side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom