FJ55 Newer versus older (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
adventureriderdude.blogspot.com
We want to use a future purchase 55 as a daily driver. Understanding the obvious... newer is better... we find ourselves wondering how much better?

I had an '81 40. (2F, 4spd, discs, air, PS, etc.) It was a great daily driver. I hear that F, 3spd, no PS is a TOTALLY different animal and not nearly as friendly for every day use.

But what about something like a '75 FJ55 model? I'm looking at one which has an F, but a 4 speed. How rough is it to use as a daily driver? Are the 55's (being station wagons) more freeway friendly than 40's of the same year?

My wife wants to use it as her daily driver and while I'm happy she does, I don't want to make a mistake and buy too old. Should I find a '79 to get the most modern I can, or will the '75 work?

A diesel with an H55 trans would be the dream, but will an F with a 4 speed do the job temporarily until the ultimate drivetrain can be had? Just curious.

It's all relative, I know, but any input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

-Larry

The 75 should have disc brakes. Does it? All the advice has been that those are preferred. Next up, would be getting one that has power steering, which would help immensely in parking lots and such. I'd think your wife would get tired of muscling the steering wheel pretty fast as they can be pretty difficult to turn when stopped. Just thinking about creature comforts, the ps is a really nice option. IDK if any have factory ps though, maybe dealer installed? Anyone else have better info?

A '79 would have 3:73 gears and optional PS. A '75 would always be worth more in CA, since you aren't limited by smog issues and you could change gears and add PS. Minitruck PS is a fairly easy mod. A '75 you could convert to EFI and you'd probably get a mile or two better MPG.

Lil John has it pretty much nailed. Couple things I would add:

- The longer wheelbase of the 55 makes for a much smoother ride, big improvement in comfort for those accustomed to driving a 40.
- 55's are much heavier than 40's and benefit greatly from the addition of PS. We normally install FJ60 gearboxes at IPOR because the fabrication work required for it (and required for saginaw/scout style) is easy for us but the minitruck swap is incredibly simple and cheap for the 55 compared to the 40 and works very well for a daily driven 55.
- Ditto on panels being hard to find. Even with our HSM line I have not been able to convince any of our manufacturers to invest in tooling for FJ55 parts. I do make replacement outter rocker panels, and SOR has some fiberglass fenders (YMMV) though we find that most 55 fender rust is easily repaired. We normally fab up body mounts and floor pans in house. Choose your 55 carefully, clean ones are hard to find.
- My *personal* preference would be for 76-77 because you get 2F, and disc brakes. Also, I don't like the volvo style tail lights on the 78-79. You may find that whatever is available is the best choice, as you mentioned the drivetrain mods are the same as with 40's, relatively well known and simple.

I like the '74 FJ55 for a daily driver....'cause that's what I've been daily driving for the last 22 years.
Pre-smog is a big plus for me. I built a 2F for it. Add your own front discs. I think the miniknuckles/60 disc/4runner calipers might be better than stock '76 discs.
Add your own power steering, I like the scout/saginaw power steering.
I like the wind-wing front doors better than the one-piece front door glass, so I added wind-wings....I like the heavier gauge sheet metal of the earlier Pigs, so I use a '69 hood and front fenders.
One of the nice things about these Pigs, is that you can modify them to suit your needs fairly easily.
If I was to do it again, I would find the best-bodied, earliest year Pig I could get. Except maybe for the '68/'69s...they have some weird stuff on them that makes them harder. Then do all the necessary mods at once.
Or you can do it like me and do all the needed mods over the next 20 years.

My Wife refuses to drive my 55 ;p. Lack of P.S. and big tires the reason. Keep in mind that the 3 speed has no synchro in first so it can be mighty hostile to those who are not comfortable driving a manual.

Just adding to what others have said:

1) '9/75 and later will have disk brakes.
2) '74 will have F1.5 & 4-speed (better than F155/3-speed but not ideal for SoCal freeways).
3) Try to find the most complete vehicle you can with the least amount of rust, everything else is negotiable.

I prefer the '76-'77 as well due to a good mix of desirable mechanicals and looks. I wouldn't turn my nose up to a clean later model, but wouldn't pay a premium for it either ;)

Good luck!
Tucker

L'il John nailed it

I drive a '72 55 with the original F; sometimes the parts can be challenging to find. We seem to have passed the peak of interest in FJ55 after-market stuff. I put in a 4-speed and kept the 3-speed transfer case. Added a disk front axle and FJ60 power steering. I consider these the basic mods to make it a useable daily driver. Somebody here said it best: get the best body/fabric conditon you can find/afford, then swap out the mechanicals to get what you need or want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom