Fj55 newbie (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi folks
Chris here from Chino valley Arizona
Just picked up a rare 79 fj55
1 of 250 in the states and of those 250 only 50 with power steering and AC
I have one of the 50
Lucky find
IMG_20200710_093143_814.jpg

IMG_20180405_105048358_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180405_105248533_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180405_105057856_HDR.jpg

Congrats! Nice find. Welcome to the sty!

Yes sir, waiting on a new Weber carb, the one in it leaks , she drives great, I'll do the brakes and Master cylinder and master clutch and just drive it, not doing anything else but keeping it stock
Got the back window to go down but now won't go up

The PO gave me a new headliner, found windshield gasket but can't find cargo glass gasket
I could use the help

You can find the Cargo gasket here: https://slocruisers.com/

Unfortunately there is no current source for windshield or cargo gaskets with the moulding option. Also, you probably already know but to do the headliner correctly you have to pull the windshield and cargo windows. Mine has a rip in it that I patched over with gorilla tape until I get ready to do some serious body work.

You can find the Cargo gasket here: https://slocruisers.com/

Unfortunately there is no current source for windshield or cargo gaskets with the moulding option. Also, you probably already know but to do the headliner correctly you have to pull the windshield and cargo windows. Mine has a rip in it that I patched over with gorilla tape until I get ready to do some serious body work.

Thanks found both cargo and windshield, just ordered them

Thanks again

Great find. Looks good! :cheers:

Wow
That's kool , what color?
I was told they are rare

Yes, from what I understand you have a rare one. Don't know that it makes it worth any more necessarily, but I like knowing I have the rare one, ha ha. Mine was originally blue and white. I bought it from the original owners from CA who had it repainted a few years back. Unfortunately they chose metallic green and gold. They were nearly in their 80's at the time from what I understand so I'll cut them some slack. It has 75k on the odo. They promised the ODO had not flipped that 75k was original. They kept it at their vacation home in ID for most of it's life so I'm inclined to believe it. When i bought it, they were too ill to travel to their vacation home, so they had their neighbor meet me at their place to close the deal. He gave me a stash of oil and air filters that look like they were purchased back in 1979 too. I think maybe he stocked up so he'd have spares at his vacation home. He also gave me the original window sticker, maintenance records, manuals and receipt of dealer installed warn 8274 which i have restored to mount back on the truck. AC needs a re-charge, but the power steering works great. It also came with a roll bar which I think probably came from Specter Offroad back in the day. It's kind of pointless since it doesn't mount into the frame, but since I already have holes in my floor i'm putting it back in. Might be useful to mount a fire extinguisher and I may add some LED dome lights to the bar for added interior lighting.

It was pretty stock when i bought it, other than the roll bar, paint job and all the missing weatherstrip the body shop didn't/couldn't find to put back on. I ended up stripping it down for a repaint and to fix a couple of minor rust issues. It is now back to stock colors and i'm reassembling slower than I would like due to hard to find parts or changing my mind on how to do things or re-doing things I wasn't happy with. I've also added a sway bar, replaced the springs with a lift, widened the wheels, added retro sound stereo and some other misc. things. I always wanted a 55 just because they are so unique, but i have to admit I like this a lot more than I thought I would.

If you need weatherstrip, I'd contact John at SLO cruisers asap and see what he has left. Good luck!

55.jpg

thanks @bobm one of these days i'll have it back together and will take some pics. The great thing about doing something for the first time is you often do things twice - at least i do. I've had a few panels where the paint didn't turn out as well as i'd like so I repainted. And living in rural WY it seems i'm always waiting for supplies to be shipped to me so I can finish a job. No bigger city within 2 hrs.

@Sleepybeaver i should also mention, if you need a floor pan - @bobm is your man. One of the body issues i needed to address was a small hole in the drivers side pan. I probably could have used a small patch, but opted for a new pan and it turned out great. Although part of the welding was overhead and it was my first overhead weld job - that sucked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom