fj55 drivetrain question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Pulled the old tranny and transfer out of the piggy today and I do'nt think it is going to work. Looks like the transfer case was bolted directly to the th350 and part of the transmission pan got chewed away.
So here we go looking for suggestions on what to put back in. I want to run a chevy small block, automatic or four speed it does'nt matter, and the stock axels because I have a couple pair of them. Should I run the old tranfer case, or change to something different?
Any ideas or information is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

if you have it all out, and you have money... put in an Orion(stronger cast iron case and $to one low range) or the later "splitcase" transfer.
as for trannys, i realy recomend something with an overdrive! wish i had one on mine. so 700r4 or 4l80e for autos or nv4500 or h55f for manuals
HTH, carl

Thanks for the input anybody else have an idea. I would like to go with chevy drivetrain all the way but the offset differential has me a little nervous. Has anybody done this with any success?

Last edited:
Well-

According to many people out here, you will have no problem running a centered rear output on a tcase to an offset rear axle....

So now, if you are not concerend about drive shaft angles, I would run an Atlas behind a built 700R4 behind your small block.

Good luck!

-Steve

Found a 73 chev one ton with a 350/th400/np205 in it, any ideas on how to go about dropping it in the piggy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom