FJ55 door hinge pins and bushings (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you look at the photo Eating Pigs posted you can see how thin the tops of the bushings are, the bushings McMaster sells have a 1.5mm thick flange and this is the area I machined thinner, another option if you don't have the ability to machine the parts is you could just sand off 1mm from the center of the casting and press full width bushing in or just sand the bushings after you install them until you can assemble the hinge. these parts will work just fine if you sand them verses machining them.

IMG_2606.jpg

Does the bushing shoulder go inside out, or inside in? Is the bushing in the outer or does it get pressed into the inner part of the hinge. Does that make sense?
bushings will press into the center part of the hinge, see post above for fitment.

$400 to do all the hinges is top dollar in my book for something a guy who enjoys messing with stuff like this. For me, I'd rather take a beating than to do body work. 🤷‍♂️

How does the pin get secured so as not to slide out over time?

I just put a small spot weld on one end of the pin then sanded it so it had a slight interference fit and tapped them in just like the factory pins.

I know some of you guys want to do it all, but for me $50 to blast , epoxy paint, new springs, new bushings and pins, is a no brainer. Especially with my skill set!

I agree with Scraps, I didn’t build my pig to save money or time and I enjoy the challenges of these projects. I do understand that sometimes I step over dollars to pick up nickels with my logic but it’s a hobby so I don’t do it to be logical.
You'll be surprised at your skill set after you attempt to build a pig, strangely satisfying when you get to the end.

I just put a small spot weld on one end of the pin then sanded it so it had a slight interference fit and tapped them in just like the factory pins.

I agree with Scraps, I didn’t build my pig to save money or time and I enjoy the challenges of these projects. I do understand that sometimes I step over dollars to pick up nickels with my logic but it’s a hobby so I don’t do it to be logical.
You'll be surprised at your skill set after you attempt to build a pig, strangely satisfying when you get to the end.
i am learning more than I anticipated, but patience is not one of my virtues, but with getting a pig finished, more than I anticipated

You can always center punch the head of the hinge pin, similar to upsetting threads on a bolt or screw from backing out. Buy a brand name tap and die set if you need the quality! Can we talk English instead of Metric?? It just ****s me up!! Sorry Old School without a handy conversion chart😉🤓🐷

I don't buy sets anymore, I order a few of the sizes I use most with every McMaster Carr order.

For cutting threads.

For chasing threads.

Don't try to center punch the 8mm pins you ordered with a center punch you care about, they are hard and will remove the tip of your punch before you put a noticeable mark on them.

Finally got my Hinge Team assembled!
Last time I did this myself I kinda manged the hinges up a bit, to the point that the $50 hinge guy noted it when he got them. This time I am going to try to do better.
Hammer and punch first and if that is shabby then I will have to make some kind of jig with a bottle jack.
F70965B2-1547-44E1-8EB9-B18075B73EBF.jpeg

image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom