FJ55 choke cable replacement battle. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Captn Conch

Life Begins Above Timberline.
Threads
Still trying to replace frozen choke cable on the '76 55. Just can't seem to access the back nut to get the pull mechanism out. Research says remove gauge panel and then remove the choke pull assembly. But How do I remove that gauge cluster? it is now unbolted and wedged between steering column and dash opening won't come out and won't go back in as panel is stuck now.
What am I missing here? speedo cable is off. (it wasn't really clipped on, PO apparently tried to remove panel and couldn't.) Is there a trick to this procedure? I see a lot of gauge panels for sale so somebody knows how to remove the darn thing!

I have not pulled either in my '77 but you might ask over in the 55 section.
Yeah I tried there a while back but since this is the 40 and 55 tech section I thought I might get more input here, more viewers.

Yes, maybe I really got to drop the steering column but what a hassle! I figured there has got to be a lot of mudders who have pulled a 55 instrument panel.

Yes, maybe I really got to drop the steering column but what a hassle! I figured there has got to be a lot of mudders who have pulled a 55 instrument panel.

you really don't have to "drop" the steering column to remove the gauge cluster, just loosen the two bolts holding it up to the dash and let it sag down a bit...

Wait, remove the gauge panel? Wouldn't one want to remove the center panel to get to the choke knob?
It looks like that would be a hassle but I got to scope that out when I get home! I still have the original working am radio in there. Wonder what's involved in that?
OK, while I'm typing responses you guys are telling me what I need to know. Thanks!

It looks like that would be a hassle
Everything a hassle with these old rigs. The only upside is that you get to keep driving one of these old rigs. You don't like hassle? get a new Prius with an extended warranty.

you really don't have to "drop" the steering column to remove the gauge cluster, just loosen the two bolts holding it up to the dash and let it sag down a bit...

I had to do this to replace the turn signal assembly. 1 banana job. It’s two bolts.

Yeah I tried there a while back but since this is the 40 and 55 tech section I thought I might get more input here, more viewers.

have you completed the repair to choke cable yet ?

i have just replaced one in a 1/79 FJ55LG-KA

i simply pulled all 8 or so micro phillips head screws and pulled center metal dash face off / out a tad , knowing all switches and other control cables were still attached

just enough room for my long reach open end wrench to slide in and loosen that darn hex nut !

one thing i learned is have a 2nd person pull on new choke cable during final dash face re-install made cable NOT kink and aided in my end inside cab ...........

never the less a Bear of a job mostly...........

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

side TECH note Question :

does anybody know what the extra open D-Groove hole is really for just above the oem

factory choke cable mounting location ?

my first thought was a hand throttle ?,

but no , if its attached to the gas peddle under dash like all 2F ones were i think ?

the D groove open hole is unusually larger then a standard one for a choke cable for example ?

thoughts and input anyone ?

thanks

Custom Length brass barrel stop equipped CHOKE cable assy i built and restored ,

the odd early style bell shaped knob seemed to fit well ......... :)

IMG_8239 - Copy.png
DSCN3018.JPG
DSCN3019.JPG
DSCN3021.JPG
DSCN3022.JPG

Yes, I did get it done! dropped gauge cluster and the switch panel was able to put in a universal choke cable and reinstall my speedometer cable properly. It was a hassle but I'm so glad to have it all operational. I kept my original choke knob assmbly so some day I can solder in the cable with the proper knob.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom