Fj55 Chevy Conversion - Need ideas on Rear end setup.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Fj55 Chevy Conversion what Diff should I use..

One of my buddies is doing a conversion and has the Engine installed the kept the transmission from the chevy

The issue is that the Trans has centrally located Drive Shaft and the Original rear end has pumkin off center. So aint going to work. Looking for a rear end that has centrally located pumkin with same width as original FJ55

Looking for ideas on what rear end will fit. Chevy rear end is too big, don’t want to go to the issue of having to chop one down was hoping the Mud crew knows somebody that has done this.

After 2 hours of walking pick a part with a tape measure all I know is that I need to ask for help..

20140919_162055_zpsgqkczm8z.jpg

20140919_162107_zpsurwzqh34.jpg

20140919_162134_zpsacxzozyd.jpg

20140919_162231_zpsnvmjej5s.jpg

You might search something like, mini-lc hybrid centered rearend. Also I think there's a thread in FAQ about centered rear options.
IMG00062-20110501-1150 centerd rear ubolt flip.jpg

lots of vehicles come from the factory with offset drive shafts ,i drove a 40 for years with that setup .92 to 96 or so troopers and acura have a dana 44 centered rear axle with disc brakes same bolt pattern and gear ratio and drum emergency brake .i have put way over 200,000 thou on these axles and no problems kid even beat on them pretty good and ran 35s

Shelfboy's right, j**p wagoneer & some troopers have 6 lug dana 44 in the rear, they have a slightly wider wms by a couple of inches. I have a friend using a trooper in the rear of a yj w/factory discs. Of course the differences in ring grear size from a LC to a 44 will make you wonder if using a dana 44 is a good idea. You could probably just run the stk offset land cruiser rear, considering your rear drive shaft should be pretty fairly long in a FJ55. I centered mine mainly because I wanted the strength of a centered rear output Tcase, & my rear already had a detroit & 4.88's w/discs. I found a 1985 or older mini rear for $100 & sold the 4.11 3rd for $50.

I believe the only way an offset rear drive shaft works ok (without vibrating driver out of the cab at 50-plus mph) is on longer vehicles. This typically has not worked on FJ40's, might work ok on an FJ55 ????? I believe there were post here on Mud (years ago) about this not working on FJ40's, I'm thinking shelfboy1 has just been lucky ????

there are a bunch of posts on this topic some worked and some may not have .since some vehicles come from the factory that way im geussing it may work ?

I'd go for a Tacoma 8.4" rear end.
That way you also get an e-brake.

and extra width.

Standard, Straight axle minitruck rear axle is the perfect width.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom