FJ55 Carb question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need a new carb for my 1972 FJ55. SOR has a rebuilt factory one for $425. Autozone has 3 Aisins, one by FC, one by Champion. and one by Tomco, for between $160 to $230 w/ a core value of $25-$65. Seems like a big difference in price for the SOR factory, tho I have had good luck dealing w/ them. Do the Aisin's require any modifications? Would appreciate any insights. Thanks!

Ed

Do you know what is wrong with your current carb, specifically?

Jim C. is very knowledgeable on the factory carbs. I would contact him about your situation, before I spend monies on any of these options you have presented.

Good luck!

-Steve

Jim Chenoweth
TLC Performance
Lancaster, Ohio, USA
Ph. 740.862.2604
TLCA #1914

the aisin IS a factory carb, its what you should have now, its also what SOR has, the three autozone has are factory aisins but those names are the rebuilders, FC, champion ect.. they could be cheap rebuilds i dont know.
i second Jim C. he is good.

The Toyota tech tells me the current carb is a totally shot one barrel and that the replacement needs to be a 2 barrel....sound correct on the number of barrels? If I get a non-USA carb do I need to modify the distributor or will it work with the stock one? I have read of non-USA distributors and wonder if I would need one of them as well.

The nonUSA carbs are made to work without all of the smog stuff, and with a vacuum advance dizzy. The nonUSA dizzy is a vacuum advance type. I believe your 1972 dizzy is a vacuum advance like my old one was in my 1971. Someone correct me if I am wrong on that. So. It should work. That being said, the nonUSA dizzy is slightly different from the stock USA, and is presumably going to be a little better quality. IF you have the bucks, you won't be disappointed having a new, unworn distributor in there.

And yes, you should have a 2 barrel in your 72 for sure.

can I have your shot old Aisin barrel? ya can't get parts for em and I would like to have a spare float.

FWIW your 72 should have had a 2 barell on it when new, 68 was the last year for the 1 barrel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom