fj55 axle conversions to Fj60 HELP (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am not sure I am following what is installed - there is a front shackle reversal, but it doesn't look like the mounts were outboarded; it also doesn't look like the axle perches were altered either(?) Maybe I am missing something, I seem to be having a dense morning...
I have no clue what they did. I may just have to start over.

Well, like was suggested before, I'd replace the bushings, drive it and see if you like it, have any concerns and go from there - it is interesting though

I noticed that the leaf pack has a clip that looks like its been opened and not fully closed - so leafs could have been added or removed from that pack. I also wonder if you don't in fact have original axles, or, if its an earlier truck post 1975+ 40/55 disc axles.

Man, that is some sh*t right there. Doesnā€™t even make sense to me.
Doesnā€™t look like the perches have been changed (driver front). Doesnā€™t even look like the hangers were outboarded. Looks a lot like @gonzopancho ā€™s rig when he first got it.
If I were you Iā€™d take it to a competent fabricator and have that junk hacked off and start over.

Man, that is some sh*t right there. Doesnā€™t even make sense to me.
Doesnā€™t look like the perches have been changed (driver front). Doesnā€™t even look like the hangers were outboarded. Looks a lot like @gonzopancho ā€™s rig when he first got it.
If I were you Iā€™d take it to a competent fabricator and have that junk hacked off and start over.
Agree, but it was like that when @Cruiser Innovations got it, not when I got it. He fixed those bits. Not me. I actually have those fj55 axles still (with the perches setup for SOA) if someone wants them.

Actually, mine looked worse in 2012 (I didnā€™t own it then.)

Agree, but it was like that when @Cruiser Innovations got it, not when I got it. He fixed those bits. Not me. I actually have those fj55 axles still (with the perches setup for SOA) if someone wants them.

Actually, mine looked worse in 2012 (I didnā€™t own it then.)

Yes, thanks for that correction. For some reason I was thinking Cruiser Innovations did that work for you. Itā€™s been a couple days since Iā€™ve scrolled through that thread.

Man I miss a day on the forum and it blows up. Just to second what has been said, that looks rough. Stock 55 axles with the OME lift that @cruiseroutfit sells is what I used on my truck. You do have to move the rear spring hangers back a couple inches which probably won't be an issue if yours are hacked up anyway.

Looking for a rear a fj55 rear sway bar if anyone knows someone. Thanks so much.

Howdy,
I
So the 60 axles are a pretty common swap to the 55. They are wider than the 55 axles and require you to outboard the front spring mounts on the frame. I, personally, prefer the sway bar just for on road behavior. You should be able to use a 60 rear sway bar with the 55 and just move the bushings inward.

As far as the mounts and bushings, are you saying you have smaller diameter pins on the frame side and larger on the spring side? I'm not sure I understand the question there.
Im in the process of putting fj62 axles under my pig. How do guys get away without outboards on the rear axle?
I have 1.5ā€ difference on each side from my Fj62 springs to the fj55 leaf spring hangars on my frameā€¦ I really need to learn how this is done..

Thank you

6C1323FD-1EC5-496F-B6DD-9C17404F0AFB.jpeg

Howdy,
I

Im in the process of putting fj62 axles under my pig. How do guys get away without outboards on the rear axle?
I have 1.5ā€ difference on each side from my Fj62 springs to the fj55 leaf spring hangars on my frameā€¦ I really need to learn how this is done..

Thank you

View attachment 2961875
You can inboard the spring perchs on the axle housing to match the factory leaf width, or, you can outboard the spring hanger and shackle hanger on the frame to match the spring perch width on the 60 series axle housing. The first option is far less work than the second option.

On the rear if you donā€™t want to outboard the spring hangers, cut the perches and weld new ones to line up with the 55 springs. 1-1/2ā€ + 11/16ā€ = 2-3/16ā€ inward from where they sit from the factory, off the top of my head (somewhere abouts).
Have you done this on a fj55?
Got pics?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom