FJ55-3Spd Trany Whine ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does or has anybody else had this problem; apprx 3 months ago installed a newly rebuilt tarnsfer case and rebuilt tranny in my wagon. Yesterday (Sunday) it seemed as though I was getting a VERY loud whine in tranny at around 55-60 mph. Below that it's there but to loud at all. But at 60 mph ear plugs are in order. Anybody have any ideas, suggestions, etc. Thanks Larry ??? :(

ooohh, dunno! I have heard that new bearings are supposed to be louder than older broke-in ones, but so loud you need ear plugs? Sounds fishy. I'd be checking the oil for metal, periodically for a while. Who did the rebuild??

New bearings, if properly installed, shouldn't make much noise.
I agree on the checking the oil part. Drain it. Hold a magnet near the drain
and see if the oil moves towards it. If it does, take it back to the rebuilder.
If not, double check to make sure you've got the right oil. Too thin of an oil
may make it louder. But prolly not that loud.
Also, are you sure it's the trans? Could it be the T-case? Throw-out
bearing? Does the noise go away if you put the clutch in? If you just step
off the gas?

Thanks for the comments guys.

Yeah, if I take my foot off of gas and sort of "feather it" the noise goes away. Checked oil in both the tranny and xfer case...full and clean. Can't say 100% it's the tranny. For all I know it could be the xfer case. As with all things mechanical right now all I can see is a bunch of dollars either out the door or a bunch more dollars that will need to be spent. God I love my "Prissy Wagon" !!!!!!! (and the wife keeps harping about a new shower in the bathroom. YOU KNOW which is more important.) Larry ::) :(

Do you know who did the rebuild? I'd talk to them and see what they think. In the mean time, I'd prolly just run with it and see what happens. 3 speeds aren't that much money, and if something does go bad, it could alway prompt you to get a 4 spd. instead.

I talked to a Transmission mechanic today and he suggested I drain the 90 wgt gear oil out and replace it with 140 wgt. Said that the viscousity oy the 90 was around 12 and the 140 was around 24. (now to sit and figure that out). Anyway he said that if the higher viscousity gear oil made the problem go away...problem solved. If not either replace it or try to get the rebuilder to rebuild it again. Why is it it always means more money out the door no matter what you do??????? AARGGHHHHHHH !!!!!! :'( :'( :'(

If I remember correctly I was told once that the splines on the trans out-put shaft wear causing slop with the gear which causes that famous whine. It's a pretty common problem. The way I was told it could be fixed/prevented was a small tack
weld holding the gear on the shaft in the correct place. Gotta
find someone that really knows LC.

There's laws about warranty on labor and parts.
And the irony is, now mine is making a similar noise. Only on coast, though.
And I'm not sure it's the tranny/x-fer. I'm hoping it's just a U-joint. Or
misalignment due to the motor mount.

Got the problem fixed !!!

After much discussion verging on anger and threats to rebuilder, and insisting he ride with me at 60-65 mph so he could hear "whine" he finally removed it and I imeadiately saw the problem. (I was there when he took it out). Between the tranny and transfer case there is a ultra thin gasket; it's called a "spacer" (?). Anyway the dufus neglected to put a new one in. After getting one from SOR, installing that and checking everything else he put the unit back in. Took it down the interstate at 60-75 mph. NO WHINE !!!! We both learned a valuable lesson. He will know better the next time and I won't be using him again. "Prissy wagon" now "sings" instead of squawling. Larry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom