FJ45LV Overland Build - Change my mind... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

My 1965 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV grande dame that I’ve had since ‘98 is almost ready to go back on the road after a frame-off restoration, but instead of selling her off I am going to bring her back to the stage as an overland ambassador. She deserves to be seen and heard singing along the trails again. I could use your suggestions to make her ready...

In your opinion, what are your top three things that you would recommend that I do first to have a good solid foundation for overlanding? Contrary to this post’s title, I shall not be dissuaded...

The rig is going to be used not just for daily driving around my local area, but also for overland travel. I have a 2F with an original rebuilt column 3-speed, a few mods including a Vintage Air air conditioning and heating system, front disk brake conversion, a 2-1/2 inch OME suspension lift, and a 2 inch body lift to allow tires and a better departure angle. The tires you see on it are old roller-only 31x10.5r15s, I am likely going to 33x10.5r15s so I can use my stock rims and original rechecked hubcaps. She is otherwise stock to keep a vintage look.

Looking forward to seeing you all soon out on the trails!

85A68A03-FBE0-4DD5-A93D-F36BEFC6BA21.jpeg

8EE9479F-010D-45E9-9762-C3322620DC73.jpeg

2A9A5FC3-77E1-4926-B7D3-C733837186D2.jpeg

A49278A1-3FB9-49AC-9207-D03C63689193.jpeg

69254105-6230-4DB9-AC5E-AA4889D89B94.jpeg

In your opinion, what are your top three things that you would recommend that I do first to have a good solid foundation for overlanding?
Organizational system - drawers, cabinets or duffle bags. Food and water, camping supplies and how you want to use them? Whatever you have experienced to work for you in the past us best place to start
Sleeping - Autohome RTT would be my suggestion, but the current list of manufacturers is long.
Remember - weight is your enemy, build everything with overall final weight in mind. Keep heavy stuff
forward of rear axle line.
Water and Fuel - how much and how do you store it?

You have a very beautiful car , don't ruin it with unnessary stuff .
I would keep it as stock as possible .
Tires , don't go too big they are not really necessary , and will down grade the road performance ,for just a small improvement in off road.
As Cruiserpilot said , weight is your big enemy .
Depending on what overland you want to do , WE , 1-2 Weeks , or 4-5 weeks tours .
And also 2 people or 4 ?.
This will dictate the set up of the stuff you need

A better transmission, loads of insulation and sound deadening, fuel injection, disc brakes, power steering are a few suggestions off the top of my head.
I am a long term LV owner as well. I have wheeled mine for the last 6 years and recently retired it from wheeling as I am tired of compromising my own comfort to drive an old truck. Sure they look cool, but wheeling it and driving it long distances is not very fun.
Good luck with your build.

Beautiful build.

I know you spent alot of time on the build so why not enjoy driving it for a while vs. spending more time in the shop modifying it again?

I put an Orion transfer case in mine I do off road mine and found I needed that low range to keep from tearing stuff up. I’m also still running a 3 speed column shift which definitely has its challenges the only thing I wish I had is power steering.

View attachment 2389090
Nice to see yours getting used! Can you tell me a little about the benefits of that Orion transfer case over stock?

Like stated above, you should just drive and wheel the truck as is. Then after several trips decide on upgrades.

The benefit for me is how slow you can creep over rocks and things without slipping the clutch especially when you’re loaded down with gear and you can climb steep terrain and go down steep terrain without using your brakes.

View attachment 2391783

View attachment 2391784
The benefit for me is how slow you can creep over rocks and things without slipping the clutch especially when you’re loaded down with gear and you can climb steep terrain and go down steep terrain without using your brakes.

View attachment 2391783

View attachment 2391784
Love that shot of your LV going over the edge!

I looked up the Orion transfer case. It looks like it is a kit where the buyer disassembles his existing transfer case and puts the new gearing inside, it is that correct?

Did you do your own work or have a shop perform the work and if you don’t mind me asking, how much was all that?

The kit comes with new gears and cast steel housing , you use some of the parts from the original t case. I do build them myself but there are shops out there that will build them for you.Go to the advanced adapters website for more info.

My 1965 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV grande dame that I’ve had since ‘98 is almost ready to go back on the road after a frame-off restoration, but instead of selling her off I am going to bring her back to the stage as an overland ambassador. She deserves to be seen and heard singing along the trails again. I could use your suggestions to make her ready...
I think she is ready and already a beautiful ambassador, just wheel her.

In your opinion, what are your top three things that you would recommend that I do first to have a good solid foundation for overlanding?
A popup tent, a good air mattress and a gas burner. Keep the remaining cash to pay for hotel room each time you cross a town.
People overland the world on motocycle with less than that, I think it's the best way to not denaturate your FJ45lv, just put in the back whatever you want/need to bring and go. Overlanding is about traveling, not gear.

I stopped by my shop today and dropped off the rear LV seat that I picked up from jc71fj40. Naturally, it’s going to be blasted and painted, followed by new seat foam, seat heaters, and leather to match the front buckets that are going to be recovered to match.

39065D65-7E37-4061-A4FB-EBCB732C2FB9.jpeg

C598032B-F079-4647-A464-180C0BDACBBE.jpeg

B427F507-D9EC-4FB5-BDC3-76C0B50249FD.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom